PBR Monday - Hot Stove League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBR Monday - Hot Stove League

Questions, comments, random observations, concerns or rants about PBR Monday HSL right here. You're a daisy if you do!

Questions for Team Armadillo. (1) How did the tube saddles work for your tires? Do you think they were better that Bibs?
    (2) What was the hardest part of the trip for you. Physically and mentally.

Comment

• David Powell
      David Powell commented
      Editing a comment
      (1) I ran tube saddles, Big Dave did not. Both of us ran Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes with SLIM. The tube saddles are a bit of a pain to install and you are required to move your rim lock within 4" of the valve stem which then requires you to balance your wheel/tire. I do like the concept of the tube saddle, and I believe they probably do work as advertised, however I probably will not run them on our next attempt. I really am not worried about getting any pinch flats on the tour as we are not running close to a race pace and are not plowing into rocks. We set our tire pressure at 15 psi to be safe. In fact, I'm not sure we every even checked our tire pressure after the rest day in Pocatello. I race with Bibs, but for the Tour, I will just run the Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes again, no tube saddle, no bib.

(2) The Physical/Mental really go hand in hand. For our 2020 tour, here is our mileage/hours. D1-235 miles/18 hours, D2-270 miles/15 hours, D3-195 miles/12 hours, D4-208 miles/18 hours, D5-140 miles/11 hours, D6-150 miles/18 hours. As you can see, the amount of time on the bike, and the limited time to sleep/rest is the hardest part of the tour. The riding is fun, the scenery is beautiful and you can ride on adrenaline alone for much of the tour, but eventually fatigue will play a role in any teams ride. That is when your mental capacity will be tested, especially when you make a navigation error or have any sort of problem. The best thing you can do is be prepared what you are going to do in every possible scenario (sleeping in the woods, running out of water, running out of fuel, bike mechanical, team member gets injured, bike off the trail, etc.). The more your team is prepared for each scenario, the easier you will be prepared mentally.
      Last edited by David Powell; 11-04-2020, 06:12 AM.

It was great seeing you on the show Team Armadillo!

I watched it twice over to soak up all of the nuggets of wisdom for my attempt next summer. The navigation element will be the most challenging for me for sure. Most of the riding I do here in the Rocky Mountains and foothills is done by map with GPS for backup.

Comment

Working...
    X