2021 T1 Navigation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 T1 Navigation questions

Ask your questions specific to the 2021 T1 route here. No general navigation questions - those have another thread.

Martin, looks like way point 1Dxyz64 is incorrectly labeled.

1Dxyx64 is in the correct sequence between 1Dxyz63 and 1Dxyz65.
    1Dxyz64 is where the waypoint 1DxyzRR (robbers roost) was in last year's waypoints.

The routing is still obvious on both of these but just thought you might like to know.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1Dxyx64.JPG Views:	2 Size:	26.6 KB ID:	1358 Click image for larger version  Name:	1Dxyz64.JPG Views:	2 Size:	79.7 KB ID:	1359
    Last edited by zzseansmith; 01-26-2021, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Are the challenge points going to be same as the 20' route? I didn't see a change on that page

Comment

• David Powell
        David Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        He will likely update the Challenge Points after all of the route updates are made. Obviously there will be some changes, D2 for example.

Martin, For Day 2 is there a paper map you would recommend or any guidance on the area to print. I was planning on printing an A3 or A2 size print from CalTopo for a region like this using the Scanned Topo layer.

Thanks for the adventure!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Day2PrintRegion.JPG Views:	2 Size:	159.9 KB ID:	1363

Printed, I would like to be able to get down to about this level of detail:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Day2Print.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1364
      Last edited by zzseansmith; 01-28-2021, 10:06 AM.

Comment

2DXYZ18 Is that the east fork trail (7186)? my map says 7164. 18 sould be next WP after scout mtn. right?

From the intersection of Crestline Cycle Trail with the road follow 70009 downhill less than a mile to an intersection with East Fork Trail (7186). Turn right (west) and follow this ATV trail about a mile west then north to Frog Pond. From there, proceed north another mile or so (video) to Race Track Trail (7184), a single track trail that veers sharply to the left (west). Follow this for about 3.5 miles west to South Fork Road (70163).
        Last edited by msteward; 01-30-2021, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• Chadzu
          Chadzu commented
          Editing a comment
          USFS 2016 is your friend

Not sure if I'm missing something but, it appears on Day 3 the detailed route description directs you north on an alternate trail. Right before 3Dxyz22. Is that in case the nominal route is blocked?
        Shortly after the routes merge turn north (left) at Van Dorn Cutoff Trail (432) and after a brief jog north turn west (left) at Deer Creek Trail (277). Head north along FS527 and then FS235 to Deer Creek Pass, then downhill several miles to an intersection with Pass Creek Road (122). This area is sometimes closed until late in the season due to a huge, active avalanche chute (you'll see it) and an alternative route is shown on the maps if a detour is necessary.
        Hopefully I'm not working off the wrong file.
        Last edited by Eastforku; 02-01-2021, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• msteward
          msteward commented
          Editing a comment
          I am to this point also now and I am also wondering if a correction has been made and not posted yet.

• Chadzu
          Chadzu commented
          Editing a comment
          3dxyz 21,22,23,24 all fall right on my track from last year. I don't see any changes right there. You must bee looking at the alternate route that takes you around the really sweet canyon the normal route goes up. It is a cool section.

• Eastforku
          Eastforku commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know Chadzu. Maybe just the way I read it. I also saw Martin said not to worry too much about the RB just yet.
          Thanks for the reply. DG

I did look at that, but I haven't started that part yet. Does anyone no the mislabled waypoint number on day 1 by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by msteward View Post
          I did look at that, but I haven't started that part yet. Does anyone no the mislabled waypoint number on day 1 by any chance?
          i think you will find that if re-download Day 1 it is fixed as Martin fixed up the waypoint D1xyx64.

Comment

I should realized that, you asked that at the top of the page and i seen that after you asked about it.

Comment

Chadzu commented
              Today, 02:22 PM

USFS 2016 is your friend

Here is a screen shot from the caltopo and one from idaho's trail map they are the same number, but differ from the RB's number. It seems to be the right way to go though to me.

Comment

• Chadzu
                Chadzu commented
                Editing a comment
                The only turn that is tricky through that whole section is the sharp left that is mentioned in the RB. I have a habit of zipping right by it still, and I know it is there. Pretty sure you are in good shape with your map. The CS looks to be new this year, they bulldozed a bunch of the old CS and turned it into a gimmie. You will have to put in more time to claim it this year.

Martin,

On Day 6 are waypoints 6Dzy1 & 6Dzy2 mislabeled as for the life of me I can't visualize how to get from 6Dxyz6 to 6Dxyz8 without them. The JPG map also seems to show that to 6Dxyz8 is for all three teams and then the 3 person teams turn down Phelan Creek Rd to 6Dz1, z2, etc.

Thanks again for all the awesome work getting the new waypoint files out for us.

Comment

• Chadzu
                Chadzu commented
                Editing a comment
                I think what you are seeing is a few remnants from last year still needing to be cleaned up. The solo route in 2020 went through a different way. I don't see any solo there anymore.
                Last edited by Chadzu; 02-16-2021, 11:16 AM.

Day 4 question, is WP 55 just an out and back then up to 56 out and back also? I know 56 the trail may actually come out right there but doesn't on the map is why I am asking. Or does it go down and around following CS's numbers backwards? I know the Custer look out is that way from 56, but if you choose to not do it.
              Last edited by msteward; 02-15-2021, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Chadzu
                Chadzu commented
                Editing a comment
                55,56 are perfectly in the middle of the trail. If you make it that far you will have a nice chuckle to yourself because there is absolutely no place that you can be other than on the trail. The waypoints are where they need to be.

I am sure they are where they need to be, but I thought it was recommended to run the custer lo counterclockwise. So then if you want to run it then you would basically skip 55 then go up to 56 and swing down and around hit 55 on the way back, kind of like a circle. Wasn't the custer lo an out and back though?
              Thanks for replying.

Comment

Okay I may have had an epiphany over night. As you leave wp54 the trail actually goes all the way down to 55 then goes north to 56. That is why cs5 is where wp55 is. I think I may have been fixated on the map trail lines more than what I can actually see. The start of the cs is at 56 ends at 55, not an out and back.

Comment

Custer LO is both a loop and an out and back. The last little shot out to the LO is out and back. The majority of the CS is a loop. It is spectacular as you come up to the ridge and look out and up to the LO. You can run the loop either way, but clockwise makes you climb some steep loose hills that are both near impossible and very damaging to the trail. CCW is the best way to do it, you do end up riding between 55 and 56 twice. No big deal, it goes quick. Be careful of your schedule, d4 will bite you if you try for too much.

Comment

Working...
                  X