No announcement yet.

2021 T1 Navigation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone made the drive up hwy 12 from Lochsa lodge to lolo hot springs? How is?
    got lodging for entire route. No availability at Lochsa lodge. Looking for options.

Comment

Challis Holiday Lodge Motel has a room available on the August 10th as of today anyways if anyone is coming through that time

Comment

What are folks using for a paper map / map program / and the like for pre planning daily route?

Comment

• zzseansmith
          zzseansmith commented
          Editing a comment
          I have been using Caltopo and really like it. It has great layers to research with including a google satellite layer. It also creates custom maps for voyager pro and garmin devices.

Is the “route book” the same thing as the “detailed route description”? Or the same as the challenge point description? Or is it a separate document that I can’t find?
        Last edited by Brothers Gibb; 04-24-2021, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• msteward
          msteward commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes it is.
          Challenge point page is a seperate page.
          You find it yet?

I’ve read detailed route description several times. Will print it off as well. I’ll look for challenge point section. No internet. Phone service bounces between 1x and extended network. Hard to do much until internet resolved. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Brothers Gibb View Post
          I’ve read detailed route description several times. Will print it off as well. I’ll look for challenge point section. No internet. Phone service bounces between 1x and extended network. Hard to do much until internet resolved. Thanks.
          challenge point page :

http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/Tour_o...nge_Points.htm

Comment

Thank you sir. That makes it easy. Now if only the internet would come back so I can use desktop.

Comment

On day 1. 1Dxyz4. Is this a short backtrack ?

Comment

• zzseansmith
                zzseansmith commented
                Editing a comment
                i haven't ridden it, but my assumption based on what Martin constantly tells us - the map trails are likely wrong and just trust the way points and figure it out when you see the trail on the ground.
                Last edited by zzseansmith; 05-04-2021, 01:19 PM.

I assumed the same. Wanted to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Brothers Gibb View Post
                I assumed the same. Wanted to ask.
                you can also see that one on satellite imagery. Click image for larger version

Name:	1Dxyz4.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1535

Comment

Originally posted by zzseansmith View Post

you can also see that one on satellite imagery. Click image for larger version

Name:	1Dxyz4.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1535
                  Yes, there is actually a trail there like the satellite shows. We were riding in the dark at the point so it was a little difficult to locate but its there.

Comment

Somebody once told me a secret.
                    1. Don't sweat the small shit
                    2. It's all small shit

Comment

Still working to figure out map program. Very impressive. Satellite image for the win. Figured would make sense with rubber on ground.

Comment

How many paper maps do folks find they need? Originally planned on printing the whole route. That is a lot of paper. Now I’m wondering if I need any (besides day 2). Please advise. Thank you.

Comment

• zzseansmith
                          zzseansmith commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Personally, I am printing to PDF to have on my phone. I am only printing paper maps for the Day 2 desert navigation challenge region. I have three devices with maps (Voyager Pro, Garmin 64ST & Phone) so I don't feel like I need another backup in paper that I would need to bring reading glasses to try and use.

• Chadzu
                          Chadzu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have never needed or touched one during the tour. As much as some wish it was 1984 still, it isn't. Electronic resources work so much better. If you get to the point that you are navigating with paper, your tour is all ready over.

Thank you for responses. Maps for day two. Rest of these fancy maps on my Garmin, Trail Tech VP, and phone.

Comment

Working...
                        X