No announcement yet.

2021 T1 Navigation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can’t wait. Just me? I dream about this......
    wish I was riding with every team! Hoping the best for all participants this year. Really hoping to get that number! Y’all leave “81” for me. Thanks. Appreciate it.
    Last edited by Brothers Gibb; 05-07-2021, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Having a little trouble understanding the Day 9 Challenge Point location for "State Line Trail". It is the 6th Challenge Point for the Day, but it shows it is located between 9Dyz1 and 9Dyz2. Near 9Dyz1 is the first Challenge Point for the day which is Lunde Ridge Switchback.

I am guessing the CP "State Line Trail" would be located between 9Dyz8 and 9Dyz10 somewhere since it is only applicable to 2/3-man teams.

Day Nine (6x, 7yz)

Lunde Ridge Switchback (near 9Dyz1)
      Quartz Creek View (near 9Dxyz22)
      Hellar Divide (between 9Dxyz30 and 31)
      Heart Lake View (9Dxyz34)
      Cliff Lake View (between 9Dxyz35 and 9Dxyz36)
      State Line Trail ** *** (between 9Dyz1 and 9Dyz2)
      Ryan Hotel (Wallace)

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Comment

• msteward
        msteward commented
        Editing a comment
        Was there any clarification on this and I have missed it?

• David Powell
        David Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        I asked on the D9/D10 PBR Monday and Martin said he would review it and make corrections as necessary in the coming days.

Question on Day 1, 1DXYZ72 & 73, are these correctly positioned? Looks like it is quite a bit off-piste relative to the established trail to the East closer to Shrives Spring. Looks like the WP follows MVUM "Big Cr to Potter Cr", there may be some trail connecting 71 - 72 - 73 but doesn't seem to show on the satellite photos. Any input?

Comment

The very precisely placed waypoints aren't always precise. Just ride the trail, it is very obvious in that area.

Comment

Any input on Day 10, 10Dxyz38 to 10Dz0 looks to backtrack a bit awkwardly based on where 10Dz1,2 & 3 are and how it ties into 10Dxyz39....I'm not riding the (3) person route but figured I'd at least point it out...

Comment

You can do the out and back to 38 if you want, but I think the intent is to spit off at the Y before you get to 38.

Comment

• OregonComrade48
              OregonComrade48 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes - that seemed to make the most sense to me too....cheers

The Day 6 PBR Monday got me thinking about the Ditch Creek challenge section. Martin mentioned it on PBR Monday. It Is a little rough towards the bottom and the top has quite a few switch backs but overall it's a decent trail to Allan Lake. I really love this day 6 area as it's in my backyard. We will be making sure to ride and cut this later this year. A lot of times the Salmon ID mountain bike crew has already cut it. The trails are very well marked in this area
            Montana to the left, Idaho to the right between 6Dxyz31 and 32

switch backs at top of ditch creek with Allan MT in background

Last edited by SeanMacNee; 05-22-2021, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• zzseansmith
              zzseansmith commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info and the pictures! I was strongly considering doing this challenge section for the bonus point and was planning on pre-riding it in june sometime to see how it was. How early does it clear from snow to get up there and check things out and help clear?

Stein Mountian look out area with some epic side hilling. Stay to the right if you loose the trail off of Stein.

Comment

Sean it's probably a few more weeks we are still getting snow 😂. The powder gulch section seems to be the area everyone is getting lost. The trail
              gets nebulous and there are sucker trails from people riding around on powder lost. Follow the waypoints in this area. I'll be updating as we ride and cut it. But I'm thinking early to mid June snow should be melted out.

Comment

Me and Corey rode D1 on Saturday. I was amazed at how little snow remains. Kents is about the same as always, fenceline is in ok shape, RR is rocky and loose on the climb, but fine on the downhill side. We started at 8am and were at the airbnb in Poky by 8PM. we skipped the last loop up around to Martins house, and the hike out to the flag CP due to snow. Stopped for lunch in Downey The phillips66 makes a really good hamburger. I think we would have been on about a 13 hour pace for the two man route. We know the route very well, so nav isn't an issue. Take D1 seriously and start early. Good luck to all of this years tributes.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Chadzu View Post
                    Me and Corey rode D1 on Saturday. I was amazed at how little snow remains. Kents is about the same as always, fenceline is in ok shape, RR is rocky and loose on the climb, but fine on the downhill side. We started at 8am and were at the airbnb in Poky by 8PM. we skipped the last loop up around to Martins house, and the hike out to the flag CP due to snow. Stopped for lunch in Downey The phillips66 makes a really good hamburger. I think we would have been on about a 13 hour pace for the two man route. We know the route very well, so nav isn't an issue. Take D1 seriously and start early. Good luck to all of this years tributes.
                    Cheers - thanks for the intel....

Comment

Originally posted by Chadzu View Post

I encourage all of you to Re-read Chad’s post and really process this and think about these points:

-they know the route really well and are previous finishers
                      -they didn’t do the hike out to Oxford peak (this takes time!)
                      -they skipped the last loop from Inkom to Martin’s house over Chinese peak.
                      -they were not riding with the stress of a deadline.
                      -they we’re on a vetted bikes with vetted equipment and have ridden thousands of miles on loaded bikes in this terrain.
                      -they have used their nav and tech equipment a lot!
                      -they didn’t have to stop several times to take challenge point selfies.

And they were still out on the 2 person route for 12 hours. Every stop, every adjustment, every nav check, every blown turn, the hike, it all adds up and it adds up fast. Knowing the route, knowing your bike and knowing your equipment save time.

Train like you’re doing day 1 every time you go for a ride. Have your bags on, practice with your gadgets and get used to being up and awake and riding, AND making good decisions early in the morning. Some time spent riding at night before you get to the border wouldn’t be a half bad idea either for those that don’t have night riding experience.
                      Last edited by Carrie156i; 06-09-2021, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I 100% back up what Carrie is saying. I should avoid posting before my brain gets its caffeine. I should also point out that Corey and I have PackTalk units, so we don't have to stop as much for confabulation, it is amazing how much time that can save. The three man route has an extra hour over on Elkhorn, and it can be tricky to find your way. It is a daunting challenge any way you slice it.
                        Have fun with it, but really expect and just plan on it being flat out grueling.

Comment

Day 6- I can not find 6Dyz62 anywhere, thats the CP at lick cr/sheep cr divide. Is anyone else missing it from there wp's?

Day 7- CP Anderson Butte. Says 7Dxyz60 on CP page but is it correct to says it's yz60?

Comment

Working...
                          X