Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammy713
    commented on 's reply
    Idaho Gov map site, I'll check that out, THANKS!

• msteward
    commented on 's reply
    Do you have the trails downloaded from the Idaho gov map site? I have them and loaded in VP and the trails show up as highlighted lines on mine but no names. And there are some breaks in them but mostly there.

• Hammy713
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I have Gaia, onX Offroad, which are excellent but the VP I just can't seem to get the detail on. To get the detail of the whole tour would take a way too much map layering on the VP.

• Chadzu
    commented on 's reply
    I can't really comment of the VP. I do have the USFS2016 layer up on Gaia and it has all the trails the tour uses. If you can put that map on your VP you should be in good shape.

• Chadzu
    replied
    This is just a PSA. Right after d1xyz68 you will be going down a hill. When you get to the bottom your eyes will see a steep loose torn up climb right in front of you. RESIST the urge to pin it and hit this climb. Instead turn left in the bottom ride under the trees there and follow the real trail that curves around a much more gentle slope. The real trail is almost unused now because the torn up climb is what your eyes see. Pease, Please, Please find and use the sustainable line. It doesn't save any time to tear up the hillside, and can save time and energy if you don't make it the first try. You can see my recent tracks in orange that follow the sustainable line.

Leave a comment:

• msteward
    commented on 's reply
    I believe that is the one, Sheep CR is right there. I am guessing there maybe a missing "x" from the CP page list for this one.

• Hammy713
    replied
    Hopefully someone can help... I watched last Monday's PBR Monday on the navigation. However, I have not had the same experience with my Trail Tech Voyager Pro and the map detail Martin talks about. I did download the USA map last night and installed it this morning but the map detail is the same. Up in north Idaho and Washington, there are more places than not that don't show up on the TTVP. I rode Day 10's challenge section last weekend and the trail didn't show up. I've tried zooming in with no luck. My experience last year was that on Day 2 in the desert, it was great when there were not trails and we had to find the next waypoint but that base map leaves a lot to be desired. Heck, the county road I live on doesn't even show up...

Now, I hope I'm just missing something but what is everyone else's experience? I'm aware of the map layer downloads now but with a great base map, like the Garmin's have, all those layers are not really needed and they take up a ton of memory.

Please, someone straighten me out.

Thanks,

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Chadzu
    replied
    Is this the area in question?

Leave a comment:

• David Powell
    commented on 's reply
    I asked on the D9/D10 PBR Monday and Martin said he would review it and make corrections as necessary in the coming days.

• OregonComrade48
    replied
    Originally posted by msteward View Post
    Day 6- I can not find 6Dyz62 anywhere, thats the CP at lick cr/sheep cr divide. Is anyone else missing it from there wp's?

Day 7- CP Anderson Butte. Says 7Dxyz60 on CP page but is it correct to says it's yz60?
    Quick check, I don't have 6Dyz62....I just have 6Dyz1 & 2

Leave a comment:

• msteward
    replied
    Day 6- I can not find 6Dyz62 anywhere, thats the CP at lick cr/sheep cr divide. Is anyone else missing it from there wp's?

Day 7- CP Anderson Butte. Says 7Dxyz60 on CP page but is it correct to says it's yz60?

Leave a comment:

• msteward
    commented on 's reply
    Was there any clarification on this and I have missed it?

• Chadzu
    replied
    I 100% back up what Carrie is saying. I should avoid posting before my brain gets its caffeine. I should also point out that Corey and I have PackTalk units, so we don't have to stop as much for confabulation, it is amazing how much time that can save. The three man route has an extra hour over on Elkhorn, and it can be tricky to find your way. It is a daunting challenge any way you slice it.
    Have fun with it, but really expect and just plan on it being flat out grueling.

Leave a comment:

• Carrie156i
    replied
    Originally posted by Chadzu View Post
    Me and Corey rode D1 on Saturday. I was amazed at how little snow remains. Kents is about the same as always, fenceline is in ok shape, RR is rocky and loose on the climb, but fine on the downhill side. We started at 8am and were at the airbnb in Poky by 8PM. we skipped the last loop up around to Martins house, and the hike out to the flag CP due to snow. Stopped for lunch in Downey The phillips66 makes a really good hamburger. I think we would have been on about a 13 hour pace for the two man route. We know the route very well, so nav isn't an issue. Take D1 seriously and start early. Good luck to all of this years tributes.

I encourage all of you to Re-read Chad’s post and really process this and think about these points:

-they know the route really well and are previous finishers
    -they didn’t do the hike out to Oxford peak (this takes time!)
    -they skipped the last loop from Inkom to Martin’s house over Chinese peak.
    -they were not riding with the stress of a deadline.
    -they we’re on a vetted bikes with vetted equipment and have ridden thousands of miles on loaded bikes in this terrain.
    -they have used their nav and tech equipment a lot!
    -they didn’t have to stop several times to take challenge point selfies.

And they were still out on the 2 person route for 12 hours. Every stop, every adjustment, every nav check, every blown turn, the hike, it all adds up and it adds up fast. Knowing the route, knowing your bike and knowing your equipment save time.

Train like you’re doing day 1 every time you go for a ride. Have your bags on, practice with your gadgets and get used to being up and awake and riding, AND making good decisions early in the morning. Some time spent riding at night before you get to the border wouldn’t be a half bad idea either for those that don’t have night riding experience.
    Last edited by Carrie156i; 06-09-2021, 02:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OregonComrade48
    replied
    Originally posted by Chadzu View Post
    Me and Corey rode D1 on Saturday. I was amazed at how little snow remains. Kents is about the same as always, fenceline is in ok shape, RR is rocky and loose on the climb, but fine on the downhill side. We started at 8am and were at the airbnb in Poky by 8PM. we skipped the last loop up around to Martins house, and the hike out to the flag CP due to snow. Stopped for lunch in Downey The phillips66 makes a really good hamburger. I think we would have been on about a 13 hour pace for the two man route. We know the route very well, so nav isn't an issue. Take D1 seriously and start early. Good luck to all of this years tributes.
    Cheers - thanks for the intel....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X