Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour of Idaho 2019, T1, Prep

Ask your preparation questions here.

Possibility the wrong thread for this question, but curious as to why a rest day is only allowed the 2nd day in a desert town. I'm only saying this because it would be cool to spend an extra day in a cool town in the mountains instead of hot and dry Pocatello

Comment

• Chadzu
      Chadzu commented
      Editing a comment
      First off you will be gassed after D1, and D2 is a long day. Most riders go harder and faster than they should on the first day. Your fresh, its fun, rip it up! You will likely find some things with your kit that are not quite right on D1 and it is really nice to have some time to correct it. Poky is the only town of any size that you will visit, and kind of last chance to gear up. Meeting Martin at CM for breakfast is worth it.

I don't think the point is to take in the scenery, there will be plenty of that for the next 9 days. I think the idea is more about re-calibrating, performing a diagnostics test and supporting the local community as you gather supplies and any last minute gear needs.

Comment

Question to all.... Right now, I am planning to use the widest front tire that I can fit on my WR450; I am curious if anyone sees potential disadvantages with this?

Comment

• Chadzu
        Chadzu commented
        Editing a comment
        90/100/21 is great for the tour. It will change how your bike handles slightly, so I would try it before you get to Idaho. Once you get used to it they work great in the rocky terrain you will encounter.

Originally posted by jeremymach2015 View Post
      Possibility the wrong thread for this question, but curious as to why a rest day is only allowed the 2nd day in a desert town. I'm only saying this because it would be cool to spend an extra day in a cool town in the mountains instead of hot and dry Pocatello
      Taking day 2 off was a big advantage for use as we needed to buy some supplies that we didn't know that we were going to need until that day. You can basically find anything that you need in Pocatello, not so much for any of the other days.

Comment

Question about tubes. I have always used UHD tubes But I was thinking of using the Nuetech Nitro Bib Mousse? Neutech's have been getting good reviews on feel and life. Any Tour experience with the Mousse? Good to go ? or are they a No-Go?
        Last edited by Guck78; 04-01-2019, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guck78 View Post
          Question about tubes. I have always used UHD tubes But I was thinking of using the Nuetech Nitro Bib Mousse? Neutech's have been getting good reviews on feel and life. Any Tour experience with the Mousse? Good to go ? or are they a No-Go?
          I would stick with UHD tubes, stiff tires and a bit of Slime in the tubes. I have never had a flat tire or any tire trouble in six Tours with this setup. Some of the newer dual sport mousses will get you through the Tour but the reports I've been getting is that they were beyond shot by the end last year and this year it's longer.

Comment

With the change in the trespass law last year has there been any issue crossing through the private land sections on the tour?

Comment

Just stay on our route and you should be fine. If you are confronted, which is unlikely, just apologize and ask directions to the nearest right of way

Comment

Confirming on D1 challenge if you bail out at the top of Reed Canyon and ride down Bob Smith Canyon to reconnect with the regular route you still get credit for doing a challenge section or do you have to ride the full section from 1C0 to 1C9 to get credit?

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbound View Post
                  Confirming on D1 challenge if you bail out at the top of Reed Canyon and ride down Bob Smith Canyon to reconnect with the regular route you still get credit for doing a challenge section or do you have to ride the full section from 1C0 to 1C9 to get credit?
                  You do not get credit for the CS because the difficulties have not nearly begun. You are not penalized an off-route penalty. It's a way to come to your senses without having to backtrack.

Comment

I have a jetting question. I have looked and the elevation profiles for each of the days. I'm thinking about jetting for 7000'. What has anyone else done for jetting?

Comment

• Chadzu
                      Chadzu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just run my standard jetting for 5000'. DA swings around quite a bit and altitude doesn't tell the whole picture. You may be at 10000', but if it is 32*f the DA is much lower. It won't be perfect, but it works. Use the fuel or air screw to dial it in day to day.

Gear choice question: Would Kim Mojave gear be advisable. I know some days, especially day 2, are going to be hot and this would be a great choice. But, how about subsequent days in the mountains where it will probably rain, sleet or snow on us? Better to wear warmer or water proof gear? Perhaps Mojave gear plus bring rain gear to put on top?

Comment

I'm running the klim Mojave gear and the klim stow away jacket when I need it(windproof and waterproof) .and some cheap waterproof pants I can wear over if it gets wildly wet , maybe a set of long johns too haven't decided on that one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Johnson View Post
                        Gear choice question: Would Kim Mojave gear be advisable. I know some days, especially day 2, are going to be hot and this would be a great choice. But, how about subsequent days in the mountains where it will probably rain, sleet or snow on us? Better to wear warmer or water proof gear? Perhaps Mojave gear plus bring rain gear to put on top?
                        Randy. I would NOT use KLIM Mojave for this and neither would anyone at KLIM. The Dakar gear in lighter colors is about 90% as good at keeping you cool when you need to be - and 500% better at keeping you warm when you want to be. I love my Mojave gear, but it's for dayriding only. I've used Dakar tops and OTB bottoms on the Tour many times and never had any reason to regret the choice. I use the Stowaway jacket for an emergency shell and garbage bags and duct tape if things get worse. I do carry a set of lightweight KLIM base layers in case it really gets cold. You can purchase inexpensive, throw-away waterproof rain gear in most of the towns you''ll visit. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X