Tour of Idaho 2019, T1, Navigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour of Idaho 2019, T1, Navigation

Questions, comments or concerns about Tour of Idaho, T1, 2019 navigation right here.

I have a question on D4 - at waypoint 4Dxyz55 on the 100k map it looks like the trail goes directly to 4Dyz1? I am not seeing any trail, on google earth, ArcGIS or Idaho Trails. I do see trail 161 head the correct way. My question is if the waypoint flag is off or is there a trail that cant be seen? Assuming a trail that cant be seen?

Comment

Originally posted by innkeeper View Post
      I have a question on D4 - at waypoint 4Dxyz55 on the 100k map it looks like the trail goes directly to 4Dyz1? I am not seeing any trail, on google earth, ArcGIS or Idaho Trails. I do see trail 161 head the correct way. My question is if the waypoint flag is off or is there a trail that cant be seen? Assuming a trail that cant be seen?
      The waypoints are right where they need to be. The maps are all wrong. It'll make sense when you get there.

Comment

On Day 6, at waypoint xyz39, there is another waypoint going South. What is the difference between 6C0 and 6Dc0? Is the South route a valid challenge section?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          On Day 6, at waypoint xyz39, there is another waypoint going South. What is the difference between 6C0 and 6Dc0? Is the South route a valid challenge section?
          One is an alternative route (purple) one is a CS (yellow).

Comment

Martin, Question to earn an extra or lost challenge point back - you can ride an extra challenge section - Do you earn 1 extra point per additional section or can you only earn 1 additional point total no matter how many you ride? Same question for riding the larger variation route for larger team. Is it 1 point max or is it 1 point per each variation ? thanks

Comment

Martin, Do you have any information on the 2 alternative routes on day 9? or is that why they are worth a CP?

Comment

Martin, Question to earn an extra or lost challenge point back - you can ride an extra challenge section - Do you earn 1 extra point per additional section or can you only earn 1 additional point total no matter how many you ride? Same question for riding the larger variation route for larger team. Is it 1 point max or is it 1 point per each variation ? thanks
                Great questions. In general you'll earn an extra CP for each additional CS that you ride. D2 probably doesn't count but the rest do. Same with the larger team variations.

We'll work with you to make sure that you know which ones will count for an additional CP and which ones might not. Again, in general, they all do and the exceptions are few. If you just stick to the route you are supposed to stick to you should not have to worry about any of this. We make these available in case of fire or other closures.

Cheers

Comment

Martin, Do you have any information on the 2 alternative routes on day 9? or is that why they are worth a CP?
                  One more thing, just to be clear, in order to earn a CP by riding a route variation for a larger team you'd probably have to do more than just one. You'd have to do at least a day's worth. You might not, for instance, earn a full CP by doing Pete King Creek Trail instead of Pete King Ridge Trail on D8 but if you all of the larger team variations for the day you would almost certainly earn a full CP. Some days have more of these than others which is why it's tough to talk about in the abstract. If it looks like you are going to come up short you can sent me a text via your beacon and I'll let you know for sure what will work. My goal is to help you get through, not to figure out a way to hose you.

Comment

Ok, I'm just trying to figure out how to build extra points into my ride, in case of a route error or a deduction. From what I read - Whether due to official or unofficial closures, or riding errors and/or navigation errors, teams must make up lost challenge points and off route penalties.This may be accomplished by: a) riding an extra challenge section (1CP), b) hiking out to Salmon Mountain (1 CP), claiming a CP from a route variation required of a larger team, or d) by riding the auxiliary routes 9Da (1 CP) and 9Db (1CP). My understanding of this is that we will not know of error or deduction till after we have finished and you review the tracks.

Comment

question on day 1, waypoint 1Dyz14 seems to be quite off trail as far as maps goes. are the maps wrong or is the waypoint not in its correct position?just curious, you can see a trail to the north about 150 feet or so but i suppose there could be a trail hidden by the thicket of bushes and small trees in that area

Comment

Originally posted by jeremymach2015 View Post
                        question on day 1, waypoint 1Dyz14 seems to be quite off trail as far as maps goes. are the maps wrong or is the waypoint not in its correct position?just curious, you can see a trail to the north about 150 feet or so but i suppose there could be a trail hidden by the thicket of bushes and small trees in that area
                        It'll make sense when you get there.

Comment

In reading the trail descriptions and doing some education of the routes I have found some trail numbers do not seem to match the State GIS like D1 challenge section Boundary trail is listed as 7272 but it's listed as 272 in the GIS. Is this a typo or is the trail number actually 7272?

Thanks
                          Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbound View Post
                            In reading the trail descriptions and doing some education of the routes I have found some trail numbers do not seem to match the State GIS like D1 challenge section Boundary trail is listed as 7272 but it's listed as 272 in the GIS. Is this a typo or is the trail number actually 7272?

Thanks
                            Matt
                            A mixture of old and new numbers. If you look carefully you'll see this is common. In this case the "&" prefix is a trail type designator.

Comment

I've been getting a lot of questions via PM's lately about 2019 T1 tracks. Those don't exist. Waypoint files do. If you look at the sticky about Navigation in the main T1 forum you'll learn about the rationale for this. I guess that the one thing I would add is that it's really not necessary for you to create your own route from my waypoints. If you've studied the route in Google Earth and done some map research you can add your own waypoints where you think they should be and then just navigate from waypoint to waypoint. That's what I do. Creating a route takes booku time and is very likely to lead you down a rabbit hole you don't want. Just study the route in advance and navigate between the waypoints when you get here.

Comment

Working...
                              X