2022 Navigation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Navigation questions

Ask your 2022 specific navigation questions here.

Hi Martin, guess the waypoint D2xyz22 might be placed a little far to the south; maybe a relict of 2021 where one had to turn south instead now in 2022 the route goes north :-) Thomas

Comment

LOL, back in '17 I was convinced that Martin made the hardest tour ever!
      Now I'm a bit wide eyed at what the class of '22 is up against. D1 for 3person teams is going to be one for the record books.
      Good luck to everyone.

Comment

• zzseansmith
        zzseansmith commented
        Editing a comment
        agree! I really want to do it again as it has changed so much but don't want to pester Martin for the details on the new areas and don't want to steal a T1 slot.

• Mike_1_Thompson
        Mike_1_Thompson commented
        Editing a comment
        I followed the tour last year and running it this year. It appears that Martin has raised the bar substantially over previous tours. I am not a professional but I see a real sadistic streak in his thoughts. His close friends my consider an intervention:-)

• chuckw-offroadmc
        chuckw-offroadmc commented
        Editing a comment
        I feel the same way! Last year with fire reroutes and the mystery route seemed more challenging than the past, this year the bar is raised yet again. Good luck to the 2022 teams, look forward to following along. Finishing will be meaningful!

Martin
      Question on the D3 Mystery Route. Will there be different routes for Soloists, 2 and 3 person teams. I'm weighing the pros and cons of riding either the 2 or 3 person route that day.
      On D4 CP 6 wet Creek Basin doesn't look to be near 4Dxyz11. Want us to just take a picture looking towards Pass Creek?
      On D5 3Dxyz makes an impromptu appearance on the East Fork Road east of Wildhorse.
      Do extra waypoints I use for marking hotels, gas stations, moto-shops ect. count against my total extra allowable? Im trying to avoid using my Phone to navigate to stores/hotels in towns.

Comment

• zzseansmith
        zzseansmith commented
        Editing a comment
        Last year we had to ride the route for your team. You were unable to "ride up" to do the route of the team size above what you registered.

• jrlastofthebreed89
        jrlastofthebreed89 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you are right! I don't see anywhere that riding up a trail for a day gives you bonus points like it used to be.... Im going to rethink my strategy...

Hi Martin, I am struggling to download the D6 gpx file; get an error message in my browser; D1...5 works perfectly fine; any idea? It tells download not available. Tx Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maynard View Post
        Hi Martin, I am struggling to download the D6 gpx file; get an error message in my browser; D1...5 works perfectly fine; any idea? It tells download not available. Tx Thomas
        I just downloaded it, try now.
        TOI #77

Comment

On day 5 if we go to Hailey for tires, can we avoid the Ketchum craziness by going up Greenhorn?

Comment

Looking for some Clarification on D6 Waypoint 6Dxyx55, it looks to be headed up to Custer Lookout on the CS when my map study has me believing it should be at the intersection of 4162/4161 to take you down 4161 and then meet up with where the 6DC to Custer LO starts. This would mean 6Dxyz56 is also in the wrong location which is where you should be headed down Fivemile to meet up with the 6Dxyz57 on the Custer Motorway. Thanks All

Comment

• Eastforku
              Eastforku commented
              Editing a comment
              The maps are surprisingly inaccurate in many places across the state. Follow the trails on the ground and the waypoints you're given. It makes more sense than the maps in many cases.

• zzseansmith
              zzseansmith commented
              Editing a comment
              The way points are correct, the map (mvum/forest service layers) are wrong. It is easy to follow once you are on the ground.

Thank you both for your input. Mapping on!

Comment

Looking for a little advice on the best challenge section to ride as a soloist. Independence on D13 is probably out since I live there and ride the area, so I am planning on taking a penalty for that. Looking for any input from people who have ridden these trails. the final desision on what to ride is probably going to come down to weather and time. Im open to other trail ideas as well. My current thoughts on each are:

D5 is Placer Creek and East Fork Big Peak Creek. 3 and 4+. Looking at videos it looks brush and rocky but i think mostly the tough stuff is down hill so not terribly difficult? PRO’S Shorter day so lots of time to battle through it. CONS Looks “a bit bumpy”

D7 Unknown. Its labeled as a 3+ PRO’s lighter bike (less fuel) and if it saves miles? CON’S No forward knowledge of what I’m getting into.

D9 Ditch Creek Up and the CDT. PG 4. Videos made this look a little high risk but doable. I would have a hot bike by the end of it. PRO’S Short day and a lighter weight bike. CON’S Higher risk/beater trail

Comment

• Reidy008
                Reidy008 commented
                Editing a comment
                I wouldn't hesitate to do Ditch Creek up especially if that's a bonus point. All easy trail just got to be careful when you get to the switch backs. That was area was my favorite of the tour.

Maybe I missed it, but is it permissible to ride the same trail 2 different directions for 2 points on Day 11?

Comment

• Jack Maynard
                Jack Maynard commented
                Editing a comment
                No, as stated by Martin in the PBR Spring 10 this week.

Navigation question reated to D10: in the overview Map of D10 there is marked a black (means Bonus Section) track section (C); is that really a BS or an alternative section since it is not mentioned as a BS in the Roadbook; that day according to the Roadbook there is only the BS which is the hike to the Salmon Mouintain LO. Clarification appreciated!

Navigation question related to D6: doing the Bonus Section C as a 3 person team do I need to come done at the way back to 6Dz0 or can I go directly to 6Dz2 following the solo section route?
              Tx Thomas
              Last edited by Jack Maynard; 06-23-2022, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Has anyone noticed any concerns with waypoint numbering around Summit Campground? Its a bit confusing as to how you are to enter the loop…

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Reed Cyphert View Post
                  Has anyone noticed any concerns with waypoint numbering around Summit Campground? Its a bit confusing as to how you are to enter the loop…
                  I'm pretty sure that it's counter clockwise.
                  TOI #77

Comment

I found a couple of numbering flaws on the 2 person route for day 1, here is how I corrected it.

Change y21 to y12, y3 to y13 and y31 to y3.
                    TOI #77

Comment

Working...
                    X