Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Route - Navigation (GPS, maps, etc.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Route - Navigation (GPS, maps, etc.)

Day one is up on the website (link below). Click image for larger version  Name:	T1D1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	34
    Attached Files
    Tour of Idaho, notes, route description, directions

I am both looking forward to and stressing a bit over the navigational challenge.

Got the Butler TI map set, have been using the Idaho Trails online map (http://idaho.maps.arcgis.com/apps/we...2c05228831dfbb) been playing with the GPS, smartphone apps, waypoints, Google Earth, watching vids etc --and will re-set as needed per new 2017 waypoints as they become available. In short, baring the upcoming route changes I am all studied up as far as off-trail, pre-review goes However other than the Butler booklet I do not yet have any paper maps to carry with me during my tour. I want to order up the right ones soon so as to have time to mark them up a bit and even change out to different set if I do not like the something.

Other than the Butler booklet, any 'specific' suggestions on what would be relatively packable, up to date, yet detailed enough to meet TI nav requirements? Also, any map purchase that in some way supports off-road access would be icing on the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by trail717 View Post
      I am both looking forward to and stressing a bit over the navigational challenge.

Got the Butler TI map set, have been using the Idaho Trails online map (http://idaho.maps.arcgis.com/apps/we...2c05228831dfbb) been playing with the GPS, smartphone apps, waypoints, Google Earth, watching vids etc --and will re-set as needed per new 2017 waypoints as they become available. In short, baring the upcoming route changes I am all studied up as far as off-trail, pre-review goes However other than the Butler booklet I do not yet have any paper maps to carry with me during my tour. I want to order up the right ones soon so as to have time to mark them up a bit and even change out to different set if I do not like the something.

Other than the Butler booklet, any 'specific' suggestions on what would be relatively packable, up to date, yet detailed enough to meet TI nav requirements? Also, any map purchase that in some way supports off-road access would be icing on the cake.
      Just invest in a GPS with good basemaps and you'll be fine. Make sure that you invest in a real GPS (Garmin, Magellan, etc) instead of a cellphone GPS. Cell phones are nice as long as you understand their limitations (among other issues - 8 meter accuracy) but you'll get hosed if that's all that you have. I also cannot recommend strongly enough a Trail Tech Voyager.

Comment

I'm confused on finding D1, 2017? The link is to the 2016 page and all D1 thru D9?

Comment

If you look on the route description page http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID_Route_Description.htm where is says GPX files, D1 is a link to the file. Right click and save.

Comment

The Tour of Idaho page and route description page have been updated. They are still not complete for 2017, but they are good through D1. http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID.htm and http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID_Route_Description.htm

Comment

okay, I see the D1 description change and think I see my issue on loading the new D1 route.
              Last edited by smb; 04-11-2017, 09:29 PM.

Comment

D2 is ready to go, description and gpx.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Just invest in a GPS with good basemaps and you'll be fine. Make sure that you invest in a real GPS (Garmin, Magellan, etc) instead of a cellphone GPS. Cell phones are nice as long as you understand their limitations (among other issues - 8 meter accuracy) but you'll get hosed if that's all that you have. I also cannot recommend strongly enough a Trail Tech Voyager.
                  When do you think the Voyager Pro will be out? I saw your post on Facebook about it. Some people online in other forums think it is vaporware. I've been following the progress of it for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by dhoppy View Post

When do you think the Voyager Pro will be out? I saw your post on Facebook about it. Some people online in other forums think it is vaporware. I've been following the progress of it for a while now.
                    Straight from TT - not in time for this year's Tour but before year's end. I have held one of these in my hand so it's not a figment of anyone's imagination and have been promised a beta unit to test during Tour season. They are nice. TT is to be commended for getting it right, albeit more slowly that we'd all have wished. You will like it when you see it.

Comment

All MoJazz pages dealing with the Tour are now good through D3. Enjoy!

Comment

Everything is good through D4.

Comment

• trail717
                          trail717 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          on motojazz In the D4 description section. the link to 'Mike McGowan" seems to be broken or inactive

On Day 2 there are alternate way points not listed in detailed route description page?
                        what's this? listed 2DA0 thru A12

Comment

Originally posted by smb View Post
                          On Day 2 there are alternate way points not listed in detailed route description page?
                          what's this? listed 2DA0 thru A12
                          All of the alternative routes (purple on the Butler Maps) are just that - alternative routes. These don't count for anything but are good if a trail is closed or you have to bail out.

Comment

Roger that..

Comment

Working...
                            X