Navigation - Equipment and technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navigation - Equipment and technique

Please read the sticky topic above "Navigation Tips" before posting here.

Any recommendations for printing the daily maps for back-up navigation needs, such as reroutes due to trail closures? I was thinking maybe I could take the map files to a place like Fedex office but was curious if anyone had any input or other suggestions for paper backups.

I have learned the hard way that a small GPS screen does not work well for reroutes unless you have a paper backup to see the big picture.

Comment

I know many TOI people have had print shops print some beautiful maps on water proof paper! I highlighted the entire route on a DeLorme Idaho topographic atlas i purchased on amazon. I then ripped out the pages the route traveled on and labeled them something like D1 P1 in order all the way though day 10. I was supersized how many of the ST were dotted lines on that map(although not all of them) I then crumpled up each days maps as we used them and shoved them in my boots like the old news paper trick to dry wet shoes out. In the morning Id throw out the previous days maps having one less thing to carry! I also saved pictures of the entire route with the CPs on google earth to my phone to reference if need be.

Comment

Martin, Does Carters Maps make a map specific to the T1? I looked on there site and all I see is the ID map.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamonddave View Post
          I know many TOI people have had print shops print some beautiful maps on water proof paper! I highlighted the entire route on a DeLorme Idaho topographic atlas i purchased on amazon. I then ripped out the pages the route traveled on and labeled them something like D1 P1 in order all the way though day 10. I was supersized how many of the ST were dotted lines on that map(although not all of them) I then crumpled up each days maps as we used them and shoved them in my boots like the old news paper trick to dry wet shoes out. In the morning Id throw out the previous days maps having one less thing to carry! I also saved pictures of the entire route with the CPs on google earth to my phone to reference if need be.
          Dude, I love the crumpled maps in the boots! That is awesome. I tossed mine each evening but that is now on my list.
          Cartographer. Trail Rider.

Comment

curious about MicroSD card sizes needed to save your entire tour track on the Voyager Pro. Any finishers remember what the data size was for the entire route? VP has a max of 64GB. Thinking that should be enough but curious as Martin mentioned multiple SD card for the tour.

Comment

PLB tip: My garmin has a setting to start live tracking when turned on. I use that to make sure I don't forget.
              I also have create tracks set to automatically run and archiving set to daily.

Comment

Originally posted by schall View Post
                curious about MicroSD card sizes needed to save your entire tour track on the Voyager Pro. Any finishers remember what the data size was for the entire route? VP has a max of 64GB. Thinking that should be enough but curious as Martin mentioned multiple SD card for the tour.
                I have a track file that I saved at the end of the day on my VP.
                It was running for 150 miles and about 15 hours. I saved it including routes and waypoints already loaded. It was a little over 7 MB. I don't think you'll have a problem with space.

Comment

A question for those of you running two GPS units. I understand running one zoomed in and one zoomed out.
                  How about orientation? Do you run both horizontal or one vertical?
                  (Voyager Pro is always horizontal. I have seen bikes for Romaniacs and they have two vertical GPS units.)

Comment

Originally posted by Julie Jones View Post
                    A question for those of you running two GPS units. I understand running one zoomed in and one zoomed out.
                    How about orientation? Do you run both horizontal or one vertical?
                    (Voyager Pro is always horizontal. I have seen bikes for Romaniacs and they have two vertical GPS units.)
                    I like running mine vertical in track up mode, it's just personal preference.
                    TOI #77

Comment

Installed a new Garmin Montana 700 series unit. That screen size is awesome. This unit will also serve as your PLB, incorporating all of the in-reach functionality, but I don't plan on utilizing that function at this time. I think it is safer to keep the PLB attached to your body.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Montana 700 Series.JPG
Views:	1067
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	1196

Comment

• jrlastofthebreed89
                        jrlastofthebreed89 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Do you mind showing how you did your mounting? Ive made a few out of aluminum plates but the vibration caused them to be prone to cracking. Is anything rubber mounted?

Yep. I gotta get one of the new Montana's . . . they came out about 3 weeks before our attempt and I just couldn't make the switch on such short notice. It has some really nice features!
                      Cartographer. Trail Rider.

Comment

I don't mind. I drilled a hole in the FlexxBar cross bar and attached a RAM 11 mm Bolt head adapter ball base. I use a short ram mount arm attached to the GPS mount. It allows some flexibility to positioning the front GPS will move some if it gets bumped during a crash. I used the set-up on our 2020 attempt and had no issues with this set-up. I have attached a photo, if you zoom in, maybe you can see. I will try to snap a better photo when I can.

Name:	image_207.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	1202

Comment

Name:	2C4A9054-DD9E-43ED-8AEA-ECA8BB7540E8.jpeg
Views:	1054
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	1210 Click image for larger version

Name:	7CC6C985-4C88-41B1-AC13-AEAB9AE1C225.jpeg
Views:	1037
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1209

I run a traditional style flexible handle bar made by twisted engineering. I used a Moto minded stout mount to mount my Garmin amps rugged mount too. The Garmin clips into the amps mount and is charged via the motorcycle. This set up is bomber. I’ve used the Montana 700i this fall and it’s a great piece of kit. I can send and receive texts on it. It has sos feature and most importantly I can import a kmz file map such as one I’ve made on CalTopo or Garmin base camp.
                          https://www.motominded.com/collectio...ts/stout-mount
                          Garmin amps rugged mount and charger for motorcycle

Attached Files

Comment

You can download satellite imagery and also high resolution maps

Name:	B48A87A3-A24E-4267-A763-CD1702648269.jpeg
Views:	1000
Size:	685.7 KB
ID:	1212 Click image for larger version

Name:	B58B7357-2BB9-4F7E-AD37-6CF6713F83FB.jpeg
Views:	964
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	1213

Comment

Working...
                            X