No announcement yet.

Navigation - Equipment and technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it would have been simular to my 60csx, it has that option. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by msteward View Post
      I thought it would have been simular to my 60csx, it has that option. Sorry.
      Yep, sadly the 64ST doesn’t have it. I did a bunch of research before getting it but just assumed that since it supported an SD card you could save to it.

Luckily it looks like that with the Garmin Explore app on my iPhone connected to the Garmin via blue tooth I can share the current track via email. So I should be able to pull off each days recording when i have coverage at night. I will be testing this out the next weekend or two.

Comment

Now thats a cool feature to be able to do. I like that better.

Comment

I've searched but didn't come up with anything and I am not sure if this is the best section but here goes...what are guys doing for oil changes? Just run her the whole way through or have guys had luck with changing oil during the ride in towns? Figure it will be impossible to find the exact spec I need, but something fresh as long as it is the right stuff for a wet clutch is better than 50+ hrs on the stuff I normally use.

Comment

• Chadzu
            Chadzu commented
            Editing a comment
            You don't need to change your oil. 98% of the time your low rpm low throttle.
            You have time to do it in Poky on your day off, and maybe in Salmon if you get in early enough.
            The days are unimaginably long and trying to get your room squared away and some food in your belly is about all the time you have.
            You for sure don't want to be the guy who changes his oil in the motel room and then leaves a big mess.
            That gets you a permanent place on Martins shit list.

You don’t need to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by msteward View Post
            I have found out I can have 50 routes with 250 waypoints each. I have been sort of stitching them together adding my own with trail numbers and road names and some turns markers with hopes that I will be able to figure it out when I actually see them on the trails and roads. With there being well over 200 in the 1st day plus what I have added I am at 271, and only to Lave hot springs. I am going to have to split it up when I get to the end of day one. There are a couple of other days that are 225 and 296 so I will have to really pay attention and split them up also, the rest of the days are pretty low so they shouldn't be a problem I hope.

From the videos I have been watching they look some what easy to follow in places. One area I did have some trouble finding was the fenceline trail in places and coming up elkhorn. I could see the line from the trail map but there was no trail to be seen, not even just off to the sides or around it, which I found that to be the case a lot while looking at earth and other ariel maps.

How are the rest of you out of staters doing it and never riden that area before? I have been looking at the montana and zuma and TT, How are you people planning any re routes if you have to get off the main routes and you aren't able to take any of the known routes. I mean what if you need to go a totally unknown way you didn't even think about or looked at. I wouldn't mind trying to find a way to pack some sort of paper maps to look at if the need a rises. Be easier for me instead of looking at my phone or gps's little screens.
            Per Martin: "You may add waypoints to supplement ours, but no more than 20% above what we've provided for a day"

You'll have to be very careful about adding to many, looks like Day 1 for instance has 221 'total' WP's, depending on the X, Y or Z route you are probably down into the 150ish, so are only allowed another ~30 WP's for route-finding.

I guess that is a good question for folks, we should probably count # of waypoints per X, Y or Z route + intended CS's and do the math to make sure you don't go above the 20%? Or is it 20% of the total for the day, i.e., Day 1 has 221 so we can have a total of 261?

Comment

I was doing things like that before the rules came out. I have since been bound by the rules. I kind of took it as 20% of the number waypoints listed. I didn't think about the only solo route or the 2 man and 3 man routes thing. I hope there is some more clarification on that. Because I may have to go back and remove a handful. I don't think I have used the 20% available on any of the days yet. I think he had given a total once for the tour and said it avearged out to be 30 per day.
              I have just been going by the 20% though, and have found that it is more than enough so far. I go through and make my notes for each day then go back and add where I think I need them with "x" amount extra.Which has been easier for me because I have been doing it three times to see if I need to add any of the remaining points I have available after the 2nd time.
              I also check them per day and go from there 1st.

Comment

Just got an email from Gaia outlining a new option allowing easier paper map printing...thought it may be useful to somebody!

https://blog.gaiagps.com/customize-p...lcome-2020-slw

Comment

That is pretty awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadzu View Post
                    That is pretty awesome.
                    Yeah - seems like it will be useful to spend the time to do each day, even has the declination.....

Comment

Well, maybe someone has figured it out, but last year I was never able to figure out a great way to print out the 100K maps. I'm open for ideas but nobody seemed to have an answer. I eventually took screen shots of the route each day but I had about 10 pages for each day. If there is a way to convert the 100K image file over to upload it to Caltopo that would be awesome! Also, we didn't have the best of luck with our TT Voyager Pro's. They worked okay but the map detail lacked big time. I know that now we can import image files and I played with it a little but the mapping program doesn't compete with what Garmin offers. I did get a Montana 700i as my second GPS for this years run, which will be super nice. But the darn TTVP would be cool to finally figure out.

I'm really hoping Martin does a PBR Monday on the TTVP and the full features it offers. Its a cool ass unit but the detail needs to be better. Many times there are no trails shown, just the waypoints.

What are the thoughts...

Comment

• msteward
                        msteward commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Have downloaded the trail file from the idaho site? They load as tracks if I remeber right. I did and loaded them in to my TT and they show up as lines on the map screen. But you are right there are some places there is nothing. I am thinking it shouldn't be to much of a problem. I hope to find a paper map solution soon also I have just been to busy for the last month to work on anything.
                        I have played with the MBTILES a little also, now that is pretty neat once you figure it out. Looks just like it does on computer. I think you would need a few sd cards for sure, big files.
                        Last edited by msteward; 03-24-2021, 10:51 PM.

Originally posted by Hammy713 View Post
                      Well, maybe someone has figured it out, but last year I was never able to figure out a great way to print out the 100K maps. I'm open for ideas but nobody seemed to have an answer. I eventually took screen shots of the route each day but I had about 10 pages for each day. If there is a way to convert the 100K image file over to upload it to Caltopo that would be awesome! Also, we didn't have the best of luck with our TT Voyager Pro's. They worked okay but the map detail lacked big time. I know that now we can import image files and I played with it a little but the mapping program doesn't compete with what Garmin offers. I did get a Montana 700i as my second GPS for this years run, which will be super nice. But the darn TTVP would be cool to finally figure out.

I'm really hoping Martin does a PBR Monday on the TTVP and the full features it offers. Its a cool ass unit but the detail needs to be better. Many times there are no trails shown, just the waypoints.

What are the thoughts...
                      Using CalTopo to export a custom map for each day has worked good for me so far. On most of the days i am using the CalTopo hybrid base layer with the MVUM overlay to go with the way points. I am also creating an export with the forest service 2016 base layer as it has great detail for day 4-9. I will ride with both over the summer during pre-rides to decide which i prefer. I have used the hybrid base layer testing it in the desert down in st George and Arizona and it was excellent with the detail for me.

Comment

I have been using the Gaia printing feature lately for paper maps. I like how easy it is to size the map, choose the size want the print out to be, use what ever overlay you like. The picture I attached is on 11X17 paper. You tell Gaia that size and it keeps the detail sharp. You can overlay the TOI waypoints. I like to handwrite information that I think might be helpful. CP spots, gas range, trail numbers and common names. To be honest I almost never touch the paper maps during the day. I do find them helpful at the end of the day to get a good look at what is coming up, and make a mental plan of attack.
                        The maps that are provided by Martin just don't have the detail to be very helpful when printed.

Comment

We had a local printing company print out the 100K maps as hard copies. Those places have a lot of different paper thickness, durabilities, and weatherproof level options. Might be worth calling around to printers.

Comment

Working...
                          X