Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires

Remember - this is very subjective. The choice of tire depends on your bike, your riding style and your feeling about durability vs performance. Your experiences elsewhere are probably not good templates for T1.

IMO - anything that's round and holds air will work. You'll be happier with an enduro tire than a dual sport tire but I've finished with tires that hadn't had any knob for two days with the tube sticking out in places. The biggest mistake that people make is overthinking this. I wouldn't use anything more fancy than stiff-walled enduro tires and Bridgestone UHD tubes. Run a little slime in the tubes and leave them at about 10 psi. I've done six Tours with this setup and never had a flat. Well almost, I did have a tire give out about a half mile from my trailer at the end of the Tour once but that's because the tube got abraded where it was sticking through the cords.
    Last edited by Martin; 01-13-2020, 02:38 PM. Reason: Update

I'm going with this tire up front again: GT216AA – "FATTY" FRONT 90/100 x 21
    Still deciding on the rear . . .
    Cartographer. Trail Rider.

Comment

I need guidance on tires. Front and rear. 220lbs on a 350xcf.

Comment

Originally posted by Brothers Gibb View Post
        I need guidance on tires. Front and rear. 220lbs on a 350xcf.
        Goldentyre 216AA fattie front. GT333 rear. Change your rear in Salmon

Comment

• Jefff Jensen
          Jefff Jensen commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly what Martin said, I called the Les Schwab in Salmon beforehand and they had me out of there in 45 minutes on 2019 TOI

• Carrie156i
          Carrie156i commented
          Editing a comment
          Same. And Les Schwab has all you can eat popcorn.

GT216AA front, no question. Last year I started day 1 with a Maxxis Desert IT rear, and changed it out in Salmon to a GT333. My compatriots went with a new GT333 in Pocatello on the rest day, between D1 and D2. When we arrived in Salmon, my Maxxis had as much life left in it as their 333's did, though it had gone another 200 miles+. We all went with fresh 333's and they got new GT216 fronts. For myself, I liked the way the Maxxis worked better than the 333. Lastly, though my 216 went all 2000 miles of the 3-person route in 2019, the last couple days I was not happy with its severely rounded off knobs (but not broken-off like would be the case with its Shinko copy). The grassy sidehill on D9 was particularly unsettling with its lack of side grip.

Comment

I’m taking notes.

Comment

I am going to roll with kenda parker DT's right now (currently testing them out on rides).

Comment

Originally posted by JBrown View Post
              I am going to roll with kenda parker DT's right now (currently testing them out on rides).
              Watch the Jimmy Lewis TOI video. Look at his tire on Day 8 and 9. He was using the Parker.
              Cartographer. Trail Rider.

Comment

Thoughts on the Parelli MT43 for rear?

Comment

Originally posted by WisemanGibb View Post
                  Is it round and does it hold air?

Comment

Originally posted by WisemanGibb View Post
                    I used the MT43 front and rear on my '16 half assed attempt. They are DOT and last a long time and will work well for 80% of the tour. That last 20% you will be wishing you had knobbies.
                    On my somewhat less half assed successful tour in '17 I used shinko f546 and 505 cheater. They were fine, and went from Malad to Sundance. The moral of the story is that its not that big of a deal. You need to actively take care of your tires the whole way no matter what tire you use. Don't spin when you don't have to, don't skid if it can be avoided. It is mentally hard not to burn half the tire off on the first day because your so excited and fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadzu View Post

I used the MT43 front and rear on my '16 half assed attempt. They are DOT and last a long time and will work well for 80% of the tour. That last 20% you will be wishing you had knobbies.
                      On my somewhat less half assed successful tour in '17 I used shinko f546 and 505 cheater. They were fine, and went from Malad to Sundance. The moral of the story is that its not that big of a deal. You need to actively take care of your tires the whole way no matter what tire you use. Don't spin when you don't have to, don't skid if it can be avoided. It is mentally hard not to burn half the tire off on the first day because your so excited and fresh.
                      What he said.

Comment

In 2018 I ran the Dunlop AT81 front and AT81RC rear. They preformed great, no flats with UHD tubes. The rear had a little less than 1/4 tread by the time I got to Ant Hill and would have made it until the end. The front still had lots of tread left, I actually ran that tire for another year. I'll most likely run the same setup for 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by oregonlmd View Post
                          GT216AA front, no question. Last year I started day 1 with a Maxxis Desert IT rear, and changed it out in Salmon to a GT333. My compatriots went with a new GT333 in Pocatello on the rest day, between D1 and D2. When we arrived in Salmon, my Maxxis had as much life left in it as their 333's did, though it had gone another 200 miles+. We all went with fresh 333's and they got new GT216 fronts. For myself, I liked the way the Maxxis worked better than the 333. Lastly, though my 216 went all 2000 miles of the 3-person route in 2019, the last couple days I was not happy with its severely rounded off knobs (but not broken-off like would be the case with its Shinko copy). The grassy sidehill on D9 was particularly unsettling with its lack of side grip.
                          I started last year with a Maxxis Desert IT as well. My partner also smoked his brand new GT333 by the end of day 1....(we think it was a lemmon, chunked off real bad). He got a replacement in Pocatello on the rest day as well. By the end of day 5 my Maxxis IT was well worn but holding up just fine the carcass was in great shape. Jermerys replacement tire from Pocatello now had a large hole torn in the tire so we needed a tire anyhow. We waited for les schwab to open on Monday morning and both got new rear tires. If Jeremy had not needed a tire I had fully planned on pushing though the tour on that Maxxis and i think it may have made it. That being said i was happy to have some new tread for those trails.

Side note i ran a front tire i had previously experience with lasting a long time and regretted it. I should have stuck with what I always run and am most comfortable with. My front held up just fine but i think any front tire would so id stick with your favorite.

All that being said Martin is right, just slap a tire on and call it a day! Being able to ride and navigate 200 miles a day is much more important to getting a finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamonddave View Post

I started last year with a Maxxis Desert IT as well. My partner also smoked his brand new GT333 by the end of day 1....(we think it was a lemmon, chunked off real bad). He got a replacement in Pocatello on the rest day as well. By the end of day 5 my Maxxis IT was well worn but holding up just fine the carcass was in great shape. Jermerys replacement tire from Pocatello now had a large hole torn in the tire so we needed a tire anyhow. We waited for les schwab to open on Monday morning and both got new rear tires. If Jeremy had not needed a tire I had fully planned on pushing though the tour on that Maxxis and i think it may have made it. That being said i was happy to have some new tread for those trails.

Side note i ran a front tire i had previously experience with lasting a long time and regretted it. I should have stuck with what I always run and am most comfortable with. My front held up just fine but i think any front tire would so id stick with your favorite.

All that being said Martin is right, just slap a tire on and call it a day! Being able to ride and navigate 200 miles a day is much more important to getting a finish.
                            These guys are the ones waving at you in the dictionary under the "Exception to every rule" entry. After meeting them and tracking their Tour I think they knew what was best for them better than anyone else - especially the likes of me.

Comment

Working...
                            X