Ancillary equipment for the Tour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancillary equipment for the Tour.

Ask your questions about clothing, bags, rescue kits, tools, etc. for T1 here.

Thanks for setting all this up Martin.

I do have a question about lower body rain gear. Any great options besides cheap junk or garbage bags and duct tape?
    Last edited by Brothers Gibb; 01-10-2020, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• Staffordirt
      Staffordirt commented
      Editing a comment
      Gage rain pants are what I used, tough and fairly light weight

I have the alpine star A-10 chest protector and just got the KLIM Arsenal vest. I do like how the vest fits over the protector, but was hoping for good impact protection without the “exoskeleton” that a traditional protector has.
    what are you guys using?
    any thoughts on what to wear under the vest or jersey?
    what should I be thinking for such a long trek??
    thanks!!

Comment

Let me know if I’m asking too many questions here Martin.
      I also have the KLIM aresonal vest. I’m wondering about wearing the leat 3D body protector under it. Anyone have experience with Leat 3D body protector?

Comment

Giant loop Mojave or Mosko Moto reckless 10? Anyone have experience with both? Or a great / horrible experience with one? Guide me....thanks.

Comment

• Mike Georgeson
          Mike Georgeson commented
          Editing a comment
          GL Mojave is bullet proof and simple, but smaller then you would think... I have both the Mojave and the Coyote. We use the Coyote for MotoCamping and we really put them through the paces with MotoCamping (carrying about 27lbs with all camp gear) whilst riding single track... on our 4th trip of the year and no issues, except they are not waterproof, but they do come with dry bags. The biggest thing is they are TOI supports so it's a no brainier! I have yet to decide on the Mojave or the Coyote for the tour.
          Last edited by Mike Georgeson; 06-09-2020, 11:32 AM. Reason: I originally was talking about the Coyote so I wanted to clarify.

• David Powell
          David Powell commented
          Editing a comment
          We ran the Mosko Moto Reckless 10 last year, this year we decided to switch to the Giant Loop Mojave. They are lighter, they don't stick out as far, and we are going to try to haul nothing on the rear fender except the fuel bag on the days we need it. Light and tight is what you want and the Giant Loop bags fit that need better than the Mosko Moto Bags in my opinion. Also, Giant Loop supports the Tour.

Originally posted by Brothers Gibb View Post
        Thanks for setting all this up Martin.

I do have a question about lower body rain gear. Any great options besides cheap junk or garbage bags and duct tape?
        I use the KLIM Stowaway. Beyond that, if you read through the suggestions on the Tour pages for rain we mention purchasing inexpensive disposable waterproof gear that you may find in most any town along the way. The coated waterproof stuff works better than Gore-Tex for what you are likely to encounter on the Tour. And you'll save weight until it rains.

Comment

Giant loop Mojave or Mosko Moto reckless 10? Anyone have experience with both? Or a great / horrible experience with one? Guide me....thanks.
          Since GL is not only a sponsor but makes excellent stuff I'd recommend the GL Mojave. It's the most common bag on the Tour.

Comment

Originally posted by WisemanGibb View Post
            I have the alpine star A-10 chest protector and just got the KLIM Arsenal vest. I do like how the vest fits over the protector, but was hoping for good impact protection without the “exoskeleton” that a traditional protector has.
            what are you guys using?
            any thoughts on what to wear under the vest or jersey?
            what should I be thinking for such a long trek??
            thanks!!
            I don't use much armor and I certainly would not use a plastic roost guard. Those things are not much good off a track anyway. If you are going to use armor I recommend the padded undergarments that you may obtain for Leatt, KLIM and others. Reviews all over MoJazz

Comment

I’m going with the soft armor from Leatt under a Klim vest.
              the alpine star A10 my brother mentioned is a life saver though. We ride gnarly single track in Colorado. These chest protectors are impact rated at lvl2. They have saved us on numerous occasions. Too bulky for this trip. Fantastic for gnarly day trip single track.

Comment

• Carrie156i
                Carrie156i commented
                Editing a comment
                If this is indeed what you are talking about using, I can tell you from experience with one, it doesn't breath well and on hot days really causes a serious amout of sweating, which in turn will cause dehydration. If you hit hot weather you will roast in it. I would suggest something much lighter weight and more breathable.

• Staffordirt
                Staffordirt commented
                Editing a comment
                You will be way to hot on d2.

• David Powell
                David Powell commented
                Editing a comment
                I did not wear any protection except my knee pads. You already should be wearing a Klim Vest and really should not be riding at any speed to be crashing much. Your bike and body are already loaded and protection will make you too hot on most days in my opinion.

Is a 4 gallon tank big enough on a ktm 350? Haul extra fuel on big days.

Comment

• David Powell
                David Powell commented
                Editing a comment
                4 gallon would be fine. Last year my bike had a 3.1 gallon tank, this year a 2.8 gallon tank is the largest available for my bike and will be what I am running. You have to haul gas on D7 and D8 anyway, so I just utilized my gas bags on the other days I needed them. I will need 2 gallons for D7 and D8, but I will haul 3 gallons to be safe. Just dump the gas in as soon as you can, so your only hauling that weight for a couple hours.

Is a 4 gallon tank big enough on a ktm 350? Haul extra fuel on big days.
              Carrie Barton used the 4.1 on her 350 last year. That plus 2 gallons of gas bag, and not a ridiculous reroute, and you'll be just fine. Carrie was. Never came close to running out, just got a little low once.

Comment

Yup. The 350 is actually quite the gas sipper. And the 4.1 gallon tank was very manageable.

Comment

Thank you for responses. I’ve settled on the IMS 4.25 gal tank because of the added capacity and the way in which it attaches to radiator seems superior to Acerbis.

Comment

• jrlastofthebreed89
                    jrlastofthebreed89 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How have you been liking the IMS? Im setting up the same bike. Does it clear the fan?

What have folks had the most luck with for storing the giant loop gas bags? Trying to figure out where to store the bag when full.

Comment

• Chadzu
                    Chadzu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I strap the gas bag sideways across the rear of the seat. With the Mojave bags you can use the side bag straps through the ends of the gas bag. Then use the two straps for the top pack to wrap around the middle. Bag is secure and won’t move around. I try and empty the bag into the tank ASAP.

• schall
                    schall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had always strapped my extra fuel bags onto my bike but recently carried my Giant Loop bag (1 gal) in the in-between location (where the tool bag is usually stored) on my Klim Nak Pak. About 50 miles into my ride i started to get a fuel taste in my hydration pack. The bag wasn't leaking, that I could tell, so it must have been out gassing through the liner. Anyone carry these in/on/or near their pack and experience their hydration bag tasting like gas? I really liked getting the weigh off the bike but I am not fond of gas tainted water.

I had a 5.3 on my 16 FE 350 and would have been fine without extra gas on the entire 2019 route if we didn’t have any issues..... That being said I did have issues and I did need it. There is more ways to lose fuel than running it though your motor.

also my partner JMac had a 350xcf and I was getting about 10mpg better than him. So I would know exactly what kinda mpg your bike gets in TOI type riding conditions

Comment

• jrlastofthebreed89
                    jrlastofthebreed89 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    what gas gas can did you find thats 5.3 for a 350? All I can find is 4.
                Working...
                X