Ancillary equipment for the Tour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice.

Just got 350xcf. Came with enduro engineering radiator brace and guards.

IMS tank won’t fit with current brace/guards

Acerbis will

Acerbis 4.1 gal
    IMS 4.25 gal

Is it worth it to remove brace/guards for the IMS tank?

Comment

Your tank is all the protection the radiators need. If you have a get-off hard enough to damage the radiators the tank and most likely you will be a bigger concern.

Comment

I highly recommend filter skins, just pull it off at the halfway point and you should be good to go for the rest of the tour unless it's unusually dusty. This was mine after day 4...

Comment

Originally posted by cdalejef View Post
          I highly recommend filter skins, just pull it off at the halfway point and you should be good to go for the rest of the tour unless it's unusually dusty. This was mine after day 4...

That's just what mine looked like on day 4. I tossed in the garbage at a gas station. Sure saved the filter.

Comment

You can stack these too. I used three on my last tour and discarded them as they got dirty

Comment

Something that I'm really glad that I had in 2018 was a helmet light. Most mornings you will be leaving before the sun comes up and sometimes you'll be getting in after dark. Even if you have a great headlight, a good helmet light gives you the ability to look into the turn before you start turning your bars so you can see what's coming before your bike is pointed in that direction.

Comment

• Pundy
                Pundy commented
                Editing a comment
                Totally agree, one of the best pieces of safety equipment you can carry. It has the additional benefit of providing you a backup light if for some reason, your headlight craps out.

• Mike Georgeson
                Mike Georgeson commented
                Editing a comment
                Oxbow is the best... turns night into day... a must have for night riding. I have mine wired into the bike (and I carry the battery as a backup) so it's always full brightness.

• Jefff Jensen
                Jefff Jensen commented
                Editing a comment
                I have the Oxbow but I use it primarily for back up or if doing a long after dark session in the evening (save the battery in case something goes wrong and you need to get out). It supplements the bike head light well. I also carry a backpacking headlamp around my neck when I leave in the morning so if I have to check something on the bike or drop something whatever, it is always handy and I am not searching for it.

For all of us that are riding fuel injected bikes, you might want to think about making this little jewel of a tool for a dead battery. I have not made one yet but it is on the list of things to do. But if you have a kick starter you will not need a battery just a small Capacitor (25 VDC 10,000 microfarad). of course this is just for backup. Check out the video,one of many.
              https://youtu.be/8L8PMBa9Pwc

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Yarnell View Post
                you will not need a battery just a small Capacitor (25 VDC 10,000 microfarad). of course this is just for backup.
                I put one of those together soon after getting my '14 350. We had a couple along on our team's Tour last year, as were on two KTM 350s and one 450. Vaguely relatedly, another thing we made was a dongle that plugged into the fuel pump connector that allows the pump to run with the engine not running so that we could pump fuel out of the tank instead of having to remove the tank and splash fuel out of the filler hole into whatever if we needed to transfer fuel to another bike.
                Last edited by oregonlmd; 03-18-2020, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Chest protectors of any kind used or recommended? Is the Klim arsenal style vest loaded with gear enough protection?

Comment

Check out the Zac Speed Octane vest that you can combine with one of their packs. I have the Dakar pack on the back. The vest has integrated protection for your chest. The only thing I don't love about it is that it only comes in black, but other than that I love it.

Comment

Carrie. What protective gear did your team wear?

Comment

• Carrie156i
                        Carrie156i commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Klim Dakar pants and jersey in the most non black color option available. Klim Vented socks.

Gaerne SG11 boots (these are discontinued but they are the lightest of the high end Gaernes so optmium protection and least energy to wear, so found a new pair in white on ebay, sometimes having tiny feet works out). As Larry mentioned I wore the Moose Racing XC1 shirt. I would have gone with the Klim Tactical shirt but didn't for 2 reasons: 1) they didn't have size small in the line up last year when we did the tour and 2) if they had, there is a chance it wouldn't have worked as I have limited mobility in one of my shoulders and getting a stretchy tight fitting item like that on over my head is difficult. So I opted for an option that had a zipper for ease of getting in and out of the thing. One nice feature is that all the pads are removable so you could customize it very easily. If one of the pads was bugging you, you could take it out and ditch it.

Whatever you use, make sure it is highly vented and faily light weight. You don't need heavy armour. But it has to be comfortable and breathable. Hard plastic bits will eventually start to get real uncomfortable as the miles/days rack up.

I also wore a very very light weight mesh MTB knee sleeve with some light protection. I also know though that my kneecaps are very sensitive and for me, the extra protection was necessary. The need for knee protection is debatable beyond if you normally wear braces. Again, I would not wear plastic knee cups or anything too bulky unless you have a very compelling physiological reason.

Gloves. Gloves choice for me is largely driven by what works with my Allsport Dynamics wrist brace, that being said, I took two pairs of gloves with me. My main pair were the Klim Dakar. Really comfortable and durable. I also brought a pair of Klim Inversion (non insulated) gloves. I wore these most mornings until about noon unless we started out and it was already warm The Inversion glove is a light foul weather glove made largely of windstopper outer material. This was really nice on the below freezing mornings that we saw, especially when there was a transfer section and any quick pace.

Arsenal Vest, which as mentioned above does proved a bit more protection than a standard backpack and distributes the weight really nicely.

Klim F5 helmet, again in the lightest color possible. The F5 is the lightest in the line up so again going for light weight to reduce fatigue over the duration of the tour. The F5, New F3 and F3 carbon all have a new buckle system called the FID-LOCK. It is a very easy to buckle system that guides the closure together with magnets and sets everything in place. There is a single pull tab to "unlock" it. It makes taking your helmet on and off very fast and easy on tired hands.

I think that about covers it. Let me know if you have any more gear questions!
                        Last edited by Carrie156i; 04-27-2020, 03:20 PM. Reason: Add additional info about the helmet choice

Originally posted by Brothers Gibb View Post
                      Carrie. What protective gear did your team wear?
                      This is Larry, if I forget something I'm sure Carrie will chime in.
                      We all wore the same clothing, boots, helmets. Underbits varied slightly. Various gloves. Body armor was the Moose Racing XC1 "shirt". Vented mesh, and gray.
                      https://www.mooseracing.com/products...ctGroup/381719

I love it's function, it's fit is at best just ok. That said, I use it nearly exclusively now.

Comment

Does anyone have experience using a modern led helmet light... if so what brand and model do you like. Thanks

Comment

• Carrie156i
                          Carrie156i commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I second the Oxbow Voyager. 2.1 ounces per 2100 lumen unit. Three power intensity settings. High lasts three hours, low lasts 12. The owner Clayton is a super nice guy.

• Mike Georgeson
                          Mike Georgeson commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oxbow... are great

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        Does anyone have experience using a modern led helmet light... if so what brand and model do you like. Thanks
                        Yes, the Oxbow Voyager light is fantastic. I ride both moto and mountain bikes with it. And, it's pretty reasonably priced as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrie156i View Post
                          Klim F5 helmet, again in the lightest color possible. The F5 is the lightest in the line up so again going for light weight to reduce fatigue over the duration of the tour.
                          Is there any reason to choose the F5 over the F3 carbon? From the information I found the F3 carbon is now the lightest at less than 2.5 pounds.

Comment

Working...
                          X