T1 2020 Navigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wbuckingham View Post
    Marthin, You may want to check 6Dxyz23 Indian Peak. I do not see in on the 100K map for day 6 or down load way points. But it's still showing as a CP. Thanks
    Fixed - thank you!

Comment

Martin,
      On the D6 CP list, you have:
      Lick Creek/Sheep Creek Divide ** *** (6Dyz5)
      I think with the WPs you added for Powder Gulch, it should now be 6Dyz11
      thanks

Comment

Originally posted by robert totorica View Post
        Martin,
        On the D6 CP list, you have:
        Lick Creek/Sheep Creek Divide ** *** (6Dyz5)
        I think with the WPs you added for Powder Gulch, it should now be 6Dyz11
        thanks
        Fixed! Thank you.

Comment

Things I've noticed when looking at waypoints:
          D1
          waypoint 001?
          1DxyzRR?
          1Dxyx64 should be 1Dxyz64?
          D2
          Waypoint 2D0?
          D4
          4CCLO is between 4C3 And 4C4?
          What is 4DSC
          Is there a reason for the 'a' appended to the waypoint name for 4Dz2a, 4Dz3a, 4Dz4a?

Comment

Originally posted by Julie Jones View Post
            Things I've noticed when looking at waypoints:
            D1
            waypoint 001?
            1DxyzRR?
            1Dxyx64 should be 1Dxyz64?

Most of these questions have been answered above. One is probably just a typo since there is no xyx route.

D2
            Waypoint 2D0?

If you look at a recent aerial photo of Pocatello it will make sense. If it does not, don't worry about it.

D4
            4CCLO is between 4C3 And 4C4?

Since it's the Custer Look Out CS, I'm betting it's descriptively named.

What is 4DSC

It's located in the parking lot of Smiley Creek store

Is there a reason for the 'a' appended to the waypoint name for 4Dz2a, 4Dz3a, 4Dz4a?
            Yes - it was an artifact to help me. I just forgot to delete the suffix. It means nothing to the three person teams and less than nothing to anyone who's not on a three person team.

Comment

I posted this last year on FB but I thought I'd post it here for this years teams that may have missed it. I was very pleased to find that my new Garmin 66i has this feature so I will be using it again.

Something that I found that was very useful for us on the T1 was setting a proximity alarm for every challenge point. What that means is that your GPS (if so equipped) will give an audible alarm and a red circle when you get within whatever radius (I set mine at 1/2 mile) that you program in of that challenge point so that you'll know when one is coming up. This was super helpful to keep us from missing any challenge points. We didn't miss any.

Comment

I just updated the D6 .gpx and 100K map to address issues mentioned earlier on the FB page. It should be good now.

Comment

Martin

Thanks for the CP video/explanation. However, I believe the challenge point page may need a correction. D6CP7 Lick Creek/Sheep Creek Divide is labeled to be at 6Dyz23. I cannot locate a waypoint with this number. I am guessing it should be 6Dyz11 as discussed above and it is just the challenge point page needing a correction?

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
                    Martin

Thanks for the CP video/explanation. However, I believe the challenge point page may need a correction. D6CP7 Lick Creek/Sheep Creek Divide is labeled to be at 6Dyz23. I cannot locate a waypoint with this number. I am guessing it should be 6Dyz11 as discussed above and it is just the challenge point page needing a correction?
                    You need to check that again. Clear your cache if you have to. You are looking at an old version of the page

Comment

• David Powell
                      David Powell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not sure what the issue is, I cleared my cache, used Safari, Chrome and Internet Explorer on another computer. They all show the following for Day 6.

Lick Creek/Sheep Creek Divide ** *** (6Dyz23)

No big deal, we will snap a photo around 6Dyz11.

Here is a quick snap of D6 showing yz11 and yz23.

Comment

• David Powell
                      David Powell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I reloaded the map and waypoints. I thought the CP page was incorrect, but I just didn't have the latest map and gpx file. Thanks.

Martin, if we are successful, we will complete our Tour on the evening of Wednesday August 5th. On Thursday we plan to drive back to Malad City and spend the night. On Friday spending the night around Denver and we would get back home in Texas on Saturday night. Would it be OK to send you our .gpx files on Sunday August 9th? Considering our drive, it would be difficult to get the files to you sooner unless we plan on taking a computer with us which I don't really want to do.

Comment

• Kevin Yarnell
                      Kevin Yarnell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      David, we have the same problem because we are staying in Idaho after to visit. So I purchased a card reader for my IPhone. It said it was for photos but seams to work well. I downloaded the GPX files from the SD card from a practice ride to Files icon on my phone then I emailed them to myself. I was able to then open on my laptop and see all the tracks on google earth. Going to practice a few more time but seems to work perfectly. But this only works with the trail Tech because you can download to the SD card. My Garmin GPS that we are using will not download directly to SD card,Bummer. so If I need to use the Back up gps's Tracks then hopefully I can do it at a hotel. Hope this helps
                      Kevin

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
                    Martin, if we are successful, we will complete our Tour on the evening of Wednesday August 5th. On Thursday we plan to drive back to Malad City and spend the night. On Friday spending the night around Denver and we would get back home in Texas on Saturday night. Would it be OK to send you our .gpx files on Sunday August 9th? Considering our drive, it would be difficult to get the files to you sooner unless we plan on taking a computer with us which I don't really want to do.
                    You should be able to do this with a cellphone and email.

Comment

Martin,

Trying to print the Route Book... it is made in font 5, which is extremely small. I have tried several things to remedy this and without using a pdf editor to zoom in the font, it’s next to impossible to read, especially since my eyes are getting older.

I asked earlier in this thread how everyone is printing out the maps and RB but it didn’t generate a response. Maybe I’m the only one with this issue and if that’s the case, slap me please but I have looked all over without any luck.

What size are the maps made to be printed? Kinkos told me they could do 8x11 on waterproof paper. Are guys printing them larger?

Hopefully someone can help out?

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

• Kevin Yarnell
                        Kevin Yarnell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Craig,
                        I feel your Pain! I Highlighted from the website and copied it to a word document (Any font size you want, i going with maybe 42-Haha). As far as maps I am going with a old school foldable map size in a ziplock bag
                        Kevin

• Hammy713
                        Hammy713 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, Kevin. I appreciate the tips!

Hi Martin,

A couple of navigation items to run past you:

Day 1: Route to 1Dxyz1 Utah/Idaho Border
                      • Is it possible to take a different route (say starting from the Cache Valley side/Clarktson) to get to the official start of the tour at 1Dxyz1? Or, is starting from 1Dxyz0 required?
                      Day 6: Double Check of 6Dx3
                      • 6Dx3 seems to have wandered off of the solo route - can you double check me on this one?
                      Day 7: Indian Creek 7Dxyz2-7Dxyz4
                      • Any thoughts on how to best handle a (cold) pre-dawn slog up Indian Creek? Is this a grid your loins (and swimsuit) and just press forward section?
                      Day 7: Log/Swamp at 7Dxyz76
                      • I recall that in years past that there were teams (maybe all?) that were not able to make (find) their way up and out of the "fire swamp" at 7Dxyz76 and get back up to the road/7Dxyz77. Does the "get into Elk City and back on the Tour the best way that you can that's close to the recommended route" apply here?
                      Thank you Martin for your input and color here.

Vote for Pedro!
                      Last edited by DirtBikeMike; 06-22-2020, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtBikeMike View Post
                        Hi Martin,

A couple of navigation items to run past you:

Day 1: Route to 1Dxyz1 Utah/Idaho Border
                        • Is it possible to take a different route (say starting from the Cache Valley side/Clarktson) to get to the official start of the tour at 1Dxyz1? Or, is starting from 1Dxyz0 required?
                        Day 6: Double Check of 6Dx3
                        • 6Dx3 seems to have wandered off of the solo route - can you double check me on this one?
                        Day 7: Indian Creek 7Dxyz2-7Dxyz4
                        • Any thoughts on how to best handle a (cold) pre-dawn slog up Indian Creek? Is this a grid your loins (and swimsuit) and just press forward section?
                        Day 7: Log/Swamp at 7Dxyz76
                        • I recall that in years past that there were teams (maybe all?) that were not able to make (find) their way up and out of the "fire swamp" at 7Dxyz76 and get back up to the road/7Dxyz77. Does the "get into Elk City and back on the Tour the best way that you can that's close to the recommended route" apply here?
                        Thank you Martin for your input and color here.

Vote for Pedro!
                        No, yes
                        It's on the map. If for some reason it's not in the file just create your own where the map says it is.
                        Cowboy up.
                        It's not that difficult to figure out, but any of the nearby ATV trails will do.

Comment

• DirtBikeMike
                          DirtBikeMike commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Got it - thanks Martin! ...looking for Cowboy boots and buckle now.
                          Last edited by DirtBikeMike; 06-23-2020, 06:05 PM.
                      Working...
                      X