T1 2020 Logistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T1 2020 Logistics

Any questions, comments, concerns or information about lodging, meals, service, transportation or any other logistics issue for T1 2020.

I have most all our lodging secured including Lochsa Lodge (because it is Labor Day Weekend they have a two night minimum which is fine with me but maybe Mike Olson needs a room on Friday?) The one place I have not been able to reach is The Wilderness Inn... Any advice?

Comment

Mike, I just called to confirm my reservation and spoke with them, recommend trying again 1-208-926-4706.
      Kevin

Comment

Still trying... thanks

Comment

email Ann Ryan at [email protected] that seemed to be my best communication.

Comment

• Mike Georgeson
            Mike Georgeson commented
            Editing a comment
            I did get a hold of Wilderness Lodge... all good. TY

It is apparent that we are encouraged to support and buy food/supplies/bike maintenance items from vendors along the way. My question is whether T1 riders are allowed to hire vendors to perform services to their machines along the way? Specifically, if we coordinate a tire swap at Les Schwab, are we allowed to hire them to install the tire too? Thanks for all the help and helping us sort out the logistical details!

Comment

• Mike
            Mike commented
            Editing a comment
            D-Knight, it’s my understanding that we are allowed to utilize all public businesses and help from strangers as long as it Is available to anyone and everyone. So all public businesses are Allowed. You just can’t call your buddy in challis Or wherever and have him put your tires on in his garage, because I don’t have that available to me.... 👍

• D-Knight
            D-Knight commented
            Editing a comment
            That will be a big help for us as it will allow us to consider running mousse for our tires. I wouldnt plan to carry the tools necessary to do a mousse swap and will gladly pay to take that burden off our shoulders! Thanks Mike.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4803.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	4.34 MB
ID:	814 I had them install mine last summer and it was typical Les Schwab service. They came running out and grabbed my bike, taking it back to install a new Golden Tyre rear while I sat in the AC and ate popcorn. They came out and asked what tire pressure I wanted and 30 minutes later I was rolling out the door with a big smile. Josh and his team rock!

Comment

• D-Knight
            D-Knight commented
            Editing a comment
            Great to hear they jumped to help get you back and rolling in no time, we are planning on AT81 RC or GT333. Regarding your GL mojavi bags in the picture, did you use them to carry fuel bladders primarily? I will be riding a 500xcw and plan to have up to a gallon and a half in each side of my mojavi bags for the big days, rather than strapping them to the top of the fender. Did fuel carry create any complications for you or your teammate?

• Pundy
            Pundy commented
            Editing a comment
            D-Knight, I think you're going to find that unless you carry an enormous backpack, that you're going to need the space in your Mojavi bags for various items. I pack incredibly light, and I wear a ZacSpeed Dakar pack, and still find that 2/3 of the space in my Mojavi bags is taken up with various items. Your mileage may vary. Also, the GL fuel bags are amazingly secure on your bike if you attach them correctly.

Originally posted by D-Knight View Post
          Great to hear they jumped to help get you back and rolling in no time, we are planning on AT81 RC or GT333. Regarding your GL mojavi bags in the picture, did you use them to carry fuel bladders primarily? I will be riding a 500xcw and plan to have up to a gallon and a half in each side of my mojavi bags for the big days, rather than strapping them to the top of the fender. Did fuel carry create any complications for you or your teammate?
          I'm curious how you plan to get a gallon and a half in one side of the Mojave, which is 6L and a funny shape.

Comment

• Jefff Jensen
            Jefff Jensen commented
            Editing a comment
            D-Knight I did not carry bladders in mojavi full. I did carry them in one side empty and had the rescue kit in the other side, I also had my spare tube and chain lube and 2T oil in the mojavi. there are cross strap loops on the saddle of the mojavi that work with the gas bladders when full. You can cinch them down so they do not move easily. I use camlock river running straps. I agree with Pundy that you will need to go ultra light and load the mojavi tight.

Several have asked where to stay in Pocatello. Hans and I were there last week and spent two nights. We liked the Center Street Cottage and will stay there again in August. Good location for tour purposes in our opinion and will be good for 2 nights in Pocatello. Lynda is great to work with and let us wash bikes in her parking lot next to the house. Call Lynda at 208-252-1900 or 208-251-1556. You will probably have to leave a message but she will call back.
          FYI we also spent a night at the Thunderbird Motel where the clerk not only allowed us to put bikes in the rooms but encouraged it strongly. Ok for the night with the bike in the room but not a nice place to hang out if you are spending a day in town. The Rodeway didn't' look much better and harder to get the bike in a room I suspect.

Comment

Day 7 Falls ck road 443 appears to still be closed 6/22/2020. How should we proceed in this area. Should we continue on the nominal route out of elk city to waypoint 7Dxyz89 and take the 7Dco back over Ohara to Iron mt alternative and connect in at waypoint 7Db9. down to the selway.... Or do we head straight out of elk city on the alternative 7Db0. and skip 7dxyz75 thru 7Dxyz89. ???

SELWAY RIVER CORRIDOR

Contact Jim and Jonathan at Fenn Ranger Station for your recreation inquiries. We’re happy to assist! (208) 926-4258
            Road Name Status Date Condition
            223 Selway OPEN 6/22/20 Pavement ends 2 miles east of Fenn Ranger Station. The road continues as a gravel road with little elevation gain. The road has been graded to Race Creek but may have pot holes due to recent rains, watch for down trees along the road to Selway Falls. Please drive slow and with caution! Rocks may be present. Selway Falls is visible along this route.
            290 Indian Hill Road Use Restricted 6/22/20 Road is CLOSED to Full-Size Motorized Vehicles. Road is OPEN to ATVs & UTVs 50” or less, Two Wheeled Motorized Vehicles, Foot Traffic, Horse/Stock, and Bicycles.

(Forest Supervisor’s Order #01-17-06-19-007)
            317 Coolwater Closed to all Size Vehicles 6/22/20 Closed for approximately three miles from the gate near the junction of the Selway River Road. Weekend Travel is Not Permitted - Due to logging operation.
            Forest Forest Order #01-17-06-20-001
            319 Fog Mountain Closed to Full Size Vehicles 6/22/20 The road has been narrowed by washouts. The road is CLOSED TO ALL MOTORIZED VEHICLES greater than 50 inches wide.
            (Forest Supervisor’s Order #01-17-06-17-007)
            443 Falls Point Closed/ Closure on Roadway 6/22/20 Road closed to ALL MOTORIZED VEHICLES from the junction with Indian Hill Rd. SW to the gate at milepost 24, approximately one mile south of Falls Point. Visitors can walk into Slims Camp and Meadow Creek Trail. (Forest Supervisor’s Order #01-17-06-17-016)
            470 Swiftwater OPEN 6/22/20 Road may be impassable at higher elevations due to snow. Travelers may experience pot holes, rocks & soft spots along roadway making travel difficult.
            651 O’Hara OPEN 6/22/20 Road may be impassable at higher elevations due to snow Travelers may experience snow, pot holes, rocks & soft spots along roadway making travel difficult.
            Forest Road Check List

✓ Watch for & obey posted speed limits. Forest Service roads can be narrow, rocky, & not meant for high speeds. ✓ Be careful braking on gravel roads. Allow more time and distance when coming to a stop.
            ✓ Beware of rocks, boulders, road washouts, downed trees and brush on the roadway.
            ✓ Use appropriate tires for the terrain and conditions you’ll be traveling.

Comment

Working...
            X