No announcement yet.

T1 training pics, stories, videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From last year. My front tire was really worn out with no sharp edges to work against that grass and it had me puckered. When wet, in fog? That'd be even more hairy. And, the drop down the hillside goes for nearly ever.

Comment

Team Hillbilly's bike and gear test ride for 2020 on the Kentucky Adventure Tour.

Comment

I'm curious if anyone has ridden Sherman Creek (D8 CS) and could provide information about the difficulty and what makes it hard. Comparing it to something on day 1 would be extremely helpful. It would be nice to have the option to reduce the trail miles that day.

The trail ratings in the route description are useful, but don't always correlate to my experience. I guess it all depends on what you find difficult: roots, rocks, loose climbs, etc. For example, I have trouble with the rock garden in Kent's (3-) but not with the roots or rocks on Robber's Roost (4).

Comment

• schall
          schall commented
          Editing a comment
          Sam and I were contemplating what it would take to ride Sherman Creek as well. There aren't a lot of good videos out there that show this trail but this is a hiking description, which sounds pretty accurate from what we hear. Love to hear from people who have ridden it as to whether this sounds right.

"With a trail width of about 1 foot the whole way (maybe 1.5 feet at its widest), you have to watch your step as you chug up, up and up with a drop off on one side for nearly the entire 7.1 miles.

Some amateur bushwhacking skills will be helpful as the trail is not exactly super-maintained. But, that is kind of a good thing as you really feel like you're entering an untamed wilderness with gorgeous wildflowers of yellow, red, purple and white lining both sides and plenty of silky spider webs to walk through.

At various points, you'll come to a clearing which offers spectacular views of the mountains and valley below.

You'll have to take special care at multiple spots as several other small streams make their way across the trail from higher elevations and, depending on recent weather, can make for some slippery/muddy conditions. A walking pole or stick would be recommended. "

https://www.theoutbound.com/idaho/hi...reek-trail-203

Originally posted by Julie Jones View Post
        I'm curious if anyone has ridden Sherman Creek (D8 CS) and could provide information about the difficulty and what makes it hard. Comparing it to something on day 1 would be extremely helpful. It would be nice to have the option to reduce the trail miles that day.

The trail ratings in the route description are useful, but don't always correlate to my experience. I guess it all depends on what you find difficult: roots, rocks, loose climbs, etc. For example, I have trouble with the rock garden in Kent's (3-) but not with the roots or rocks on Robber's Roost (4).
        It's a rock garden, it's the spot in the Jimmy Lewis video where he falls to the left down hill and has to pick the bike back up from the down hill side. There was no spots like that on D1, at least in 2018.

Comment

Team Holy Rollers rode it last year. There's a few spots where teamwork makes the dream work. We helped each other through those spots, mainly for our safety than inability to ride the gnar. It's a great teamwork trail. If you and your teammates aren't practiced at helping each other through sketchy stuff, this CS might not be a good idea.
          For our team, that trail was awesome. Reaching the top just as a rainstorm hit somehow made it even more special.

Comment

Does anyone have any knowledge of the bonus section that is on D1 Elkhorn creek? It's on the solo route so I'm not expecting much traffic through there. I'm mainly interested if it has been cleared at all this year.
            thx
            ...robert

Comment

Originally posted by robert totorica View Post
              Does anyone have any knowledge of the bonus section that is on D1 Elkhorn creek? It's on the solo route so I'm not expecting much traffic through there. I'm mainly interested if it has been cleared at all this year.
              thx
              ...robert
              It's totally clear. It gets ridden a fair amount. We were riding it in late April this year. It's a really fun little section of trail and totally worth it. The West Elkhorn trail is great early season riding, but will be hot and dry during regular Tour season. But that little Bonus loop for Solo riders dips up into a canyon and gets you into the pines for a bit and gives you a very small taste of what Kent's Canyon is like since Solo riders don't go up Kent's, and is a nice little reprieve. If I were riding Solo, I would totally do it.

Here's a little footage of that section of trail (just after the 3:00 minute mark in this video.....right after I went down on a big rock

Comment

Originally posted by RideWithMike962 View Post

It's totally clear. It gets ridden a fair amount. We were riding it in late April this year. It's a really fun little section of trail and totally worth it. The West Elkhorn trail is great early season riding, but will be hot and dry during regular Tour season. But that little Bonus loop for Solo riders dips up into a canyon and gets you into the pines for a bit and gives you a very small taste of what Kent's Canyon is like since Solo riders don't go up Kent's, and is a nice little reprieve. If I were riding Solo, I would totally do it.

Here's a little footage of that section of trail (just after the 3:00 minute mark in this video.....right after I went down on a big rock
                Thanks Mike, just the info I hoping to get. I'll most likely take this bonus route when I come though.

Comment

Just a word of caution; be extra careful out there on shared-use trails and roads while on the Tour route or any other time for that matter. While out riding a few weekends ago in Salmon, I had unfortunate encounter with a CanAm SXS coming around a blind corner.

My team mate and I had been riding the area between challis and salmon exploring the area and training (now for our 2021 T1). I was leading us out out of Iron Lake on ridge road heading towards Salmon when the collision occurred. While I wasn't racing or trying to go fast we were moving along at 30 mph according to my GPS. I slowed as we approached the oncoming corner when, in an instance, the SXS emerged into my path of travel. I naturally panicked and hit the brakes, which put me and my bike into a slide as i tried to steer the bike off the road. The CanAm driver did the same, skidding to the point of impact. I am unsure of the speed of SXS but we contacted hard, launching me onto his windshield and up onto the roof.

Do you carry JB weld steel stick? Because you should. That stuff is awesome and it will be going in all my rigs. My team mate and I were able to patch of the gas tank with steel stick just enough to hold about a gallon and half of gas. We used the the steel stick on the subframe as well. A small pair of pliers got the harness connector rewired and the fuel pump working. And once I straightened the bars and forks that were twisted in the triple clamps. we were back on the road and made it another 80 miles back to Salmon.

I am so fortunate the CanAm had a windshield or I would have been in the drivers lap!! Even more so, I am blessed to have walked away from this accident. As you can see from the photos below, it broke the subframe and footrest right where my left leg calls home. The gas tank also took major damage with two punctures and the fuel pump harness connector destroyed. It smashed the left radiator even with an SRT guard on. I highly recommend carrying insurance on your bike and yourself. Thankfully both parties had insurance and we are getting our toys repaired.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by LeviMcco; 08-20-2020, 01:14 AM.

Comment

• RideWithMike962
                    RideWithMike962 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This was one of my biggest fears on our Tour attempt this year. This is unfortunately becoming all too common with everybody and their dog owning a UTV. I felt safer hanging off the edge of a tiny Idaho singletrack, than on the Forest Service roads.

We used long-range radios and in helmet communications to help radio to one another of oncoming traffic and it worked awesome. It doesn't eliminate the risk for the guy in the front, but at least gave some confidence to the rider/s in the back.

Really glad you're ok.

• LeviMcco
                    LeviMcco commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mike, I am extremely lucky to just have walked away with a bruised arm. I agree on having radio communications. We had Sena headsets in our helmets. My team mate said it was traumatic hearing the crash through the speakers of the headset. Of course a few choice words were uttered when I slammed into the UTV.
                    Last edited by LeviMcco; 08-28-2020, 10:48 PM.
                Working...
                X