X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Goens View Post
    Thanks Martin. Super helpful! a couple more questions...

So you think its ok to go into the South Hills and then find a way around with a good map rather than avoiding the South Hills altogether and going north all the way around?

also on the Black Pine Peak options - is the single track you're cautioning me about Option 1 or 2 in your T4 description? Option 1 is the steep 1500' climb on poor trail. Option 2 is longer trail to the north side of mountain ??

you mention possible high water crossings "Just west of 91" but i don't see a "91" on the map. did you mean 51?

and one more question, I downloaded gps tracks from the gps Kevin website. Is that the same basic route that you describe on your website?
    Go into the South Hills. The snow will be near the high point near the western end

Nether of those. I forgot that I took it out. There is a legal singletrack trail just south of both of these options that sucks a lot of people in. It has one of the worst sidehills that bad dreams are capable of conjuring.

Don't know anything about a gps Kevin website. All I know is that my tracks are right.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Goens
    replied
    Thanks Martin. Super helpful! a couple more questions...

So you think its ok to go into the South Hills and then find a way around with a good map rather than avoiding the South Hills altogether and going north all the way around?

also on the Black Pine Peak options - is the single track you're cautioning me about Option 1 or 2 in your T4 description? Option 1 is the steep 1500' climb on poor trail. Option 2 is longer trail to the north side of mountain ??

you mention possible high water crossings "Just west of 91" but i don't see a "91" on the map. did you mean 51?

and one more question, I downloaded gps tracks from the gps Kevin website. Is that the same basic route that you describe on your website?

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Thanks for the tip. Our plan was to avoid the southern Owyhee route and take the northern option. What detour would you recommend around the snow in the south hills?
    Hello Mark,

There are several - depending on how far you get before the snow! Any decent map of the area will show you several options. I always recommend the maps on the IDPR site. If you have a Garmin inReach and Earthmate you can download maps to your phone that will be helpful as well. I've always found a way, but sometimes it was longer than I wanted.

BTW - there are some crossings in the desert just west of 91 that will be deep as well. We lost a bike in one fourth of July about 10 years ago.

Also - when you go around Black Pine Peak I'd avoid the single track option unless you want one of the most hairball sidehills in Idaho.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Goens
    replied
    Thanks for the tip. Our plan was to avoid the southern Owyhee route and take the northern option. What detour would you recommend around the snow in the south hills?

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    correction, not the T2, i mean the T4. I see it was recently changed from T2 to T4. Anybody have any thoughts on snow levels for June 21,22 T4 ride East to West? problem areas?
    Before July 4 this year you'll not only have trouble with snow in the South Hills but deep and fast water in the Owyhee.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Goens
    replied
    correction, not the T2, i mean the T4. I see it was recently changed from T2 to T4. Anybody have any thoughts on snow levels for June 21,22 T4 ride East to West? problem areas?

Leave a comment:

• Mark Goens
    started a topic Planning a T-2 ride June 21,22

Planning a T-2 ride June 21,22

Planning to ride T-2 from East to West June 21,22. Anybody know about the snow levels? potential problem areas?
Working...
X